Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the approximate legth of spring I will need and how many pound of resistance should I have of a spring for a gm-8 turbo? I want to have 15 psi peak. When i was running at 60 mph in od and I stomp it I could peg it at 15. I would also like it to be somewhere in the 4psi range at 55 mph. Thanks!

·
Registered
454 Posts
I just drilled a hole in the lever on the turbo, and the bracket on the factory vaccum pot for a spring. i'm gonnna try it and see if it holds that way, and see if boost will open it up like a standard turbo dump valve. i'll post some pics when i get a spring stuck on it later today.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Have a look in My Garage. The spring is about 4 inches and the compression is pretty stiff. Sorry I can't give you any kind of exact number, but it has to be fairly difficult to squeeze bewteen your fingers.

You do have a boost gauge right? If not, don't even bother with a homemade set up. There will be no way of knowing what boost you're producing.

Dave

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Do a search for goldsburg....he has posted the numbers on the spring you are looking for...

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
jifaire;1788008; said:
Aw, c'mon Dave ... let 'em try, let 'em try...

We haven't had a good explosion story around here in a long time...

:)
You are an EVIL....EVIL man jifaire! :muahaha:

Dave

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Dave12;1788594; said:
You are an EVIL....EVIL man jifaire! :muahaha:

(acting out charades game...)

What's that? OK, it's a 2-syllable word.

First syllable: sounds like cat? only 2 letters? at? Ca? KA!

YAY... second syllable... sounds like room? Ka-room? Ka-zoom?

Oh, I get it! Ka-Boom!

ROFL....

Playing around with springs, wastegates, and 6.5 litre firecrackers is not a task for the faint-of-heart.

You can either pay the money to buy a turbomaster, or pay the money to buy a boost gauge.

Doing both is OK, but I wouldn't recommend doing neither.

There are lots of places to save money. This isn't one of them.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
chrisk1500;1788010; said:
Do a search for goldsburg....he has posted the numbers on the spring you are looking for...
Well...sorta!

McMaster-Carr: 9573k27;chrome-silicon steel die spring with 50lbs/in

I did now!!!!

With this spring, I am at about 0.5" of pre-compression to get my homemade T/M to generate 10PSI, but your results may vary. JIFaire hit it right on the money though: Make sure you have a boost gauge when setting this up...

Regards,

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I do have a boost gauge, thats where im coming up with the numbers I'd like to have. I want to be at peak performance, but stay in the non destruction zone.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
farmboy1989;1789303; said:
Yes I do have a boost gauge, thats where im coming up with the numbers I'd like to have. I want to be at peak performance, but stay in the non destruction zone.
The peak boost will be regulated by the pre-load of the spring (applied by the wing nut). You will be able to adjust your boost whenever to wherever you like. You will just have to pull over and tweak. I would say that 12PSI or below for a stock engine "should" be safe. Again, your results may vary.

Regards,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts