Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a takeoff Homelink consol of Ebay. It has the OEM wire harness on it. The wire colors are orange, green and purple with yellow stripe. I know there is a dimmer, power and ground. If I were a guessing man, I'd say the green is ground, orange is power and the purple with yellow stripe is dimmer. The problem is I HATE to guess. Can anyone tell me what each of the 3 wires goes to?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
I don't know. As far as I can see the colors should be orange, white and black.

A should be power, B should be Interior lights, and C should be ground. Hopefully that will help you. I would assume A is orange so you should be able to figure out what is what.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That at least gives me a starting point. It would be orange for power and green for dimmer lights with purple/yellow stripe as ground. From playing around with my VOM, it appears that I get a capacitor charing or diode breaking over when between the orange and purple/yellow and the green purple/yellow. Not to scientific, but I don't want to take it apart to figure it out if I can avoid it. Since the purple/yellow is always the ground side on the meter, it makes some sense. I might also gleam some info when I see the wire colors that are up there.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Man, I just went through this! I'll go take a picture for you, mine is set up perfectly now, but I did have to run a separate power wire for the Homelink due to it tripping the batter protection circuit.

B back

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
2MuchFun he has an 02 which uses a different console.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Hey Max....

There's at least one of us who would like that pic, I figure I'll find a factory Homelink setup one of these days, even if I have to break down and pay JP's price....

·
Registered
511 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
I used the wires out of my 2004 console and added the Ignition controlled power line from the fuse box. ~~BTW, This console with Homelink is out of a 2001 Suburban

The key to getting it to work properly was the added, separate, power line tied to Both white and orange power lines to the Homelink.

Edited by: 2MuchFun

·
Registered
511 Posts
Open the console picture in a separate window and view it in actual size to get a much better view of the wiring

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
2MuchFun,

Any particular reason for going to switched power? My Cherokee works whether the key is on or off.

Thanks for the pics.....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Zeeb, I had the same thought. But...if your Cherokee is parked in front of your home, I can get in your house with just a push of the button. My wife's van is the same way and I really don't like it. Gotta get off my butt and change it. I'll put it on the list.

Dave

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So you don't have any problem with the memory when you shut off all power to it? I figured that would have something to do with it being hot all the time.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I couldn't swear to it, but I think when you program the HomeLink, it writes to the board's chip, otherwise anytime the power was disconnected the programming would drop. 2MuchFun's install would seem to suggest that is the case.

On the other hand, I've not disconnected the battery on the Cherokee to find out if my speculation is accurate.....

·
Registered
511 Posts
hey, what happened to my post??

ANYway, I wired it to the ignition so that its not "on" all the time with the thinking that it would last longer that way. But the idea of criminals having access to the house from the truck in the driveway is another great reason!

memory is not a problem, it must write it to the board.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was thinking about getting the ATS with switches and using one of the switches to put power to it when the engine is off like a bypass. That was if I needed to use it, I could flip the switch and no one else would know.
The second switch would be power to the center consol for the kids stuff in the back (all still to be done of course).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts