Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I were to make a home made fuel cell for the bed, would I need to coat the inside with anything? I'm thinking about either steel or aluminum, wasnt sure if any special coating was needed inside for either.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I don't believe you need a coating but you may want to check State DOT for regulations.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any other opinions?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
aluminum wouldnt need to be coated but steel you would cause it would rust

·
Registered
128 Posts
Both metals will work fine but I would add a couple of internal baffles to beef it up a little.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Is this to be mounted or put in for a short time? If it was for a short time, like a long trip, you might be able to use a bladder in the bed. Have you looked at built ones? Usually by the time you add up the cost of material and count in your labor, it is about the same.
Just my .02

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this would be a permanent install. I think I'm gonna check with a local shop to make an aluminum square with the proper holes.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
iirc stock tanks are tinned on the inside with solder. You could also use that Kreem tank coating that a lot of the old motorcycle guys use. Aircraft guys will give you a good reply as well.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Definatly add baffles!

Check the DOT regs as well. There are a few deccent posts about building your own tank or having on built. I mad one about a home made transfer tank in I believe shop talk forum, and there was a good one in the fuel air section.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah, I had figured on using baffles. Once I get to Indianapolis this weekend for work (for 2-3 months), I'm gonna talk to the GC about a good shop and get some prices.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Im using a Moeller 50 gal boat fuel cell as a range extender sits in the bed, got it from Cabelas, 42 long x 8 wide, x 24 tall, less than $200. Currently have a 12v 10 gpm xfer pump in it pump & fill when I stop to P, will plumb it eventually with a Cummins h/o lift pump that I can pump while driving. Lite enough to remove it and store away when I'm not hiway driving or having to make a hurricane evacuation run.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.