Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the PPE boost valve and was thinking to my self "Why is this thing worth $30.00 bucks?" I don't know much about boost valves but It looks like you might be able to whip one out with a few parts from a hardware store. Anyone ever tried it?

If this is in the wrong section I'm sorry I just didn't know where it should go...

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
yep, it can and has been done. i am running a homemade boost valve that chevy1925 fixed me up with. works great and mine is adjustable unlike the ppe version.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Any tips on how to do it? I'm not looking to make an adjustable one.

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
pretty simple. just a trip to the hardware store. contact chevy1925 if you want specifics. he is the one who made this one.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
I have one lying in my tool box.

PM Me your address.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Do a search in the DIY section there are a few write ups on it for the lb7

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
I have one, to the first address that I recieve PM'd that wants it.

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
It is yours 1Bad-DMax

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Get yourself a piece of 1/4" copper tube about 4" long. Cut the hose to the wastegate. Install the tube in the cut hose with a couple clamps but leave some of the center area of the tube exposed. Go test and see what boost is at WOT. Now come back and drill a small hole into the tube where it is exposed. Start with a 1/16" drill, and rerun test. You do not want to go over 30 psi on a stock turbo if you want it to live a long life. Also as you turn the tune up with more fuel the PSI will rise so be careful.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Get yourself a piece of 1/4" copper tube about 4" long. Cut the hose to the wastegate. Install the tube in the cut hose with a couple clamps but leave some of the center area of the tube exposed. Go test and see what boost is at WOT. Now come back and drill a small hole into the tube where it is exposed. Start with a 1/16" drill, and rerun test. You do not want to go over 30 psi on a stock turbo if you want it to live a long life. Also as you turn the tune up with more fuel the PSI will rise so be careful.
So what do you mean when you say "At WOT"? and Dose anyone have a picture of one installed and Uninstalled?

I don't have a boost gauge at the moment.:mad: So I can't really see what my PSI is... Also I was told to install my boost gauge on the hose before the wastgate... So When installing my gauge should I install the boost gauge's tube before or after the boost Valve?

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
What I am sending out is a Water line to the ice maker shutoff valve with nipples on each end, and you cut the waste gate line and install it with the drilled hole in it toward the wastegate and the valve wide open. Then you test as described above, and turn the valve closed till you get the boost you want.

The valve was sent to me, I am running stock with Predator now, so I am passing it on to another member on here.

I also have one of those PPE boost valve things I think is what you call it, I trried it, did not like it, free to the first address PM'd to me, IF I CAN FIND IT.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
So what do you mean when you say "At WOT"? and Dose anyone have a picture of one installed and Uninstalled?

I don't have a boost gauge at the moment.:mad: So I can't really see what my PSI is... Also I was told to install my boost gauge on the hose before the wastgate... So When installing my gauge should I install the boost gauge's tube before or after the boost Valve?
You should not install the boost gauge in the wastegate line if you install a bleeder in the same line. It will give you false readings. I like to install them in the casting just after the hose connection from the intercooler tube. This means you need to remove the hose connection and put a towel inside the casting then drill and tap for your boost gauge. Once tapped you remove the towel and any shavings will be on it and not in the motor.

WOT or Wide Open Throttle

·
Registered
231 Posts
Diesel tech - Is there any chance you could post a picture of where you put the fitting?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I do not have one handy but I will see what I can find. If you follow the pipe on the passengerside from the intercooler to the engine it will connect with a blue silicone hose to a casting on the engine. Disconnect the blue hose from the casting and shove the towel inside to catch any chips from drilling and taping the casting. Most gauge kit come with an adapter fitting with 1/8" NPT so that's what I tap the casting with.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.