Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any experience with brewing their own beer? i'm thinking about ordering a kit and getting started, but am looking for opinions. i'm looking at a kit from midwest brewing supply, which i think is a little better than the mr. beer kits.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
840 Posts
If you think you will get serious about it, buy the full kit.

Mr. Beer is good for getting your feet wet and learning the principals of extract brewing. The batches are 1/2 the size and 1/2 the cost.

If you can swing it, look into kegging. Bottling and capping 5 gallons of beer is work after awhile. Plus you can force carb the keg.

Get on www.homebrewtalk.com Tons of info on there.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Most people give it up after a couple of batches. Really a PIA to do. I haven't done it but several relatives here have and that's been their experience. Hell, I'd rather just buy a case of Dos Equis and forget about.

·
Registered
42,913 Posts
Most people give it up after a couple of batches. Really a PIA to do. I haven't done it but several relatives here have and that's been their experience. Hell, I'd rather just buy a case of Dos Equis and forget about.
Most interesting. :D

·
Registered
91 Posts
Once you get to know which kits to buy it all good I make my own all the time and find it easy just bottling can be a bit of a pain if your doing it by yourself.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I looked into home brewing once, but then realized I can get a 30 pack of PBR for $10.99 and said forget it.

Reactions: jrsavoie

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've been doing extract brewing for about six years and love it. Hopefully after we get our house built I'll have the time to build an all grain set up for the garage. I can't stress two things enough, clean/sanitize everything before during and after, next always use bottled water DO NOT use city tap water it has chlorine and other unwanted chemicals and will leave all your time and hard work tasting like band aides, trust me I learned the hard way :(

Kegging is the bomb but I don't have the dollars for it right now, I did switch from 12oz to 22oz bottles, alot less time bottling and sanitizing, also fewer trips to the fridge while enjoying the fruits of your labor :p:

If you have access to a local supplier go down and talk to them, they are usually very happy to talk about their hobby and get other interested as well. If you don't have a local shop, find a brew pub in town and catch the brewer and talk to him, these guys are very passionate about their craft and LOVE to talk about it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I brew over 100 gal a year. Pm me and I will send you my number so we can chat about it.

It is very easy and you will make great beers...

Trent

·
Banned
10,146 Posts
Trent, I might just do that. I received a home brew kit for a xmas gift. A lot of travel this month so I have not jumped into yet but hope to soon. We will see how round one goes and take it from there.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I've never home brewed beer, not much of a beer fan myself, but wine I've been fermenting for a little over 10 years now. As mentioned before definitely use bottled water, I prefer to us spring water. Someone mentioned the cost, I would think the costs would be similar to wine. I produce 30 bottles using $38 of ingredients. For the last few years I've been using Welchs frozen concentrate, which is the most expense. Welchs is giving me a more consistent result I want. Fresh fruit always seemed to be either too bitter or I couldn't taste it. I just put a vat in the carboy last night, now it'll ferment for about 4 months and I'll leave it to bulk age for a year. It is a lot of work, but it's something I enjoy and it's great to share around the campfire.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
just got a home brew kit for xmas. dad got me an octoberfest style kit too, but im gonna start with a pale and go from there. luckily i have plenty of empties. i personally love ipa's but love heavier beers too.

id like the thought of kegging eventually. baby steps

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Ive been brewing for almost 10 years now. Started in 06. Any others lurking around?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Wow this is an old post, anyhow, I brew my own. Just finished 2 batches a few weeks ago have 4 cases of bottles aging right now. The first batch was an american wheat partial extract kit and the 2nd was an Australian pale ale that was an all extract kit. I'm currently ramping up to get into all grain brewing as it ends up being cheaper with the ingredients. Next on the list is either a belgian dubbel or trippel. May try a double IPA that is high gravity.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
I started a year and a half ago. I buy the kits with a bag of wort ready to go then mix the rest up. Of course I've also tried the can with the syrup with mixed results. I find the ABV isn't real high when I make my own though.

I also make wine, and every batch has turned out really fine. I call it liquid candy haha. My kids call my wine Big G.

Reactions: Tr00b

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Any one of you guys have a favorite recipe yet?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Not yet, my first batch was a Russian Imperial Stout that turned out pretty good, but took about 3 months in the bottle for it to get good, but it came out to almost 8% ABV.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts