Diesel Place banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just updated my home setup to all digital, so I have a then top of the line Denon AV 2600 AV receiver I can no longer use. Specs are 100W x3 up front, and 25W each to the surrounds. Dolby Pro Logic surround has many different settings, and possibilities that will work well with many different applications, and make your movies come alive. Stereo is awesome with this amp. This receiver was over 1K when new....selling for $225 shipped.

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
PM sent!

·
Registered
897 Posts
Can we ask what you updated to? I am also looking to update my home theater system.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went with a Harmon/Kardon AV 635. I wanted to go with an HMDI switchable Denon...but way to expensive right now. The HK had the best sounding amp in the non-switchable catagory for now. The main reason for the upgrade was to get the optical audio connects and the digital internals to handle all the newest content available. My other upgrades was an HD Direct TV set up with Tivo, a Hitachi 42" HD Plasma set......HD rocks! And a Sony HDMI upconverting DVD. I am staying with my 5.1 speaker set up as they are as good as anything available now.....well some Martin Logans would be nice.:eek:

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^^

·
Registered
700 Posts
I can't tell from the picts, but I am guessing that there are no optical inputs? I thought I saw S-video inputs, am I right?

Just updated my home setup to all digital, so I have a then top of the line Denon AV 2600 AV receiver I can no longer use. Specs are 100W x3 up front, and 25W each to the surrounds. Dolby Pro Logic surround has many different settings, and possibilities that will work well with many different applications, and make your movies come alive. Stereo is awesome with this amp. This receiver was over 1K when new....selling for $225 shipped.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No optical.....that was the only reason I upgraded. It does have many s-video connections.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
The HK is a nice piece. I auditioned one side by side to my current setup.
Soundquality is so subjective, and having said that I am not replacing my Nakamichi AV10 anytime soon.

If I had to do it new today with the choices out there, The HK would get the nod over the Denon IMHO. The Denon seems to suffer slightly at higher listening levels from current demand. The HK does not.

Great Choice in the HK! You will love it!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The HK is a nice piece. I auditioned one side by side to my current setup.
Soundquality is so subjective, and having said that I am not replacing my Nakamichi AV10 anytime soon.

If I had to do it new today with the choices out there, The HK would get the nod over the Denon IMHO. The Denon seems to suffer slightly at higher listening levels from current demand. The HK does not.

Great Choice in the HK! You will love it!
Thanks.....now I need to get rid of my older trusty Denon.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The Denon has more discretes, which allows more flexibility when and if you program an additional theater remote.

Are you planning on using the HK zone2? It can be tricky to set up the IR. Let me know if I can help.

Don't get me wrong, the 635 is very nice. Congrats.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No need for the zone2 option....I have another system, (Adcom/Polk), in my garage when I want to listen to music at home. Spend a lot of time in there. I did find the HK set up to be a bit of a pain in general though...manual could be clearer for sure.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
$205 shipped.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Someone make an offer on this before I end up with surround sound in the bedroom.:D

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^^

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^^^

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This would also make a killer start to a garage system. Someone get this box out of my office.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
what all is needed to get this thing to work, just the speakers? never delt with stuff for the TV yet.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It is a 5.1 system, meaning it will run a front left and right, center channel, and two surrounds. It can also just run as stereo, with the TV speakers run as center. There are tons of inputs, and outs to run all your AV equipment.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Still have this bad boy. Any offers?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.