Diesel Place banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have a 98 that doesn't have the holes. It runs plenty cool even when towing. I think that everybody uses their trucks for different applications. If you never come close to getting it hot, you may be all right. I'd probably overheat it if I pulled the loads I do with my '94. Then again, I way overload the old beast. However, since I've done the cooling mods (dual thermostat, 9 blade fan, 180 thermostats) my fan hardly ever comes on, and then only for seconds. I wouldn't be surprised if it could get by without them.
The best advantage is how it let's the other diesel guys know you're around while looking pretty cool (in my opinion).

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
They are step 2 in working on my engine, Step one is the tow hooks! :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
I know this is old, but if you take the wheels off and put 2X4 or 4X4 blocks under the front rotors you can stand on the ground while working on your truck. lol

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,097 Posts
I also use them for step holes.Makes a great step for sure.I bought new bumpers,front and back for my '98.It always had a solid chrome front bumper with no holes but when I installed the 6.2,a bumper with holes had to go there:)

·
She Don't Smoke!
4,685 Posts
I also use them for step holes.Makes a great step for sure.I bought new bumpers,front and back for my '98.It always had a solid chrome front bumper with no holes but when I installed the 6.2,a bumper with holes had to go there:)
I can't use mine as step holes.. *looks at my front end* I always step on the lower bar of my brush guard and sit on top of the radiator and brush guard :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
my sister made some garden hose screen covers that we throw in the holes in the summer, to keep the rads cleaner in the trucks too. I like it, cause i can always tell another 6.5 driver on the road, kinda handy haha

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Those holes are made for fog lights.... BUT... Its only OK if they are BLUE. Any other color will = death

·
Registered
290 Posts
My '93 doesn't have them either. Did all diesel trucks get them, or was it only the later ones with the upgraded cooling system (dual 'stats, etc)

·
A Country Boy Can Survive...
Gone but not forgotten Member!
14,352 Posts
My '93 doesn't have them either. Did all diesel trucks get them, or was it only the later ones with the upgraded cooling system (dual 'stats, etc)
All 6.5TDs were supposed to have the front bumper with the holes.

Those holes are made for fog lights...
No. They were never made to hold fog lights. There are little plastic air dams in there to direct air upwards towards the front coolers(trans and engine oil).

The only ones that came factory with fog lights there were the Z71 tahoes, which used a 6.5TD style bumper that was painted to match the color of the vehicle.

·
Registered
32 Posts
they are a boot step they come in especially handy when changing the fuel filter

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.