Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 94 dually 4x4, the previous owner installed a solid front bumper, (the diesels originally have bumpers with the two holes on them right?) is this a bad thing for cooling perposes? If it is, I was planning on cutting them out instead of buying a new bumper to save money, it's also painted to match truck. If I'm gonna have to cut, can someone give me rough dimensions of their size and location of the holes... Thanks

·
Registered
364 Posts
The diesel trucks had those holes in the bumpers for cooling air for the oil cooler, etc.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Those holes are there for a reason = more air flow. The rectangle hole dimensions are 6.75 inches long (or wide) by 4.50 high. They start at roughly 7.75 inches from dead center of the bumper. Hope that helps g

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,383 Posts
No, those are for fog lights.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
The holes do increase the airflow to the radiator, condenser, and engine/transmission oil coolers. Most of all, they are a signal to others that this is a "real truck"...no spark plugs!

Jake

·
Registered
283 Posts
No, those are for fog lights.[/quote

Would that not mean that all GM front bumpers should have the two 'diesel' holes if they were for fog lights?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm hoping that fog light comment was just a joke...

·
Registered
403 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Why did I think that those were part of the engine intake?

So are they for cooling or intake purposes?

Thanks in advance.

More later...

Z.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Why did I think that those were part of the engine intake?

So are they for cooling or intake purposes?

Thanks in advance.

More later...

Z.
Nothing to do with intake at all. They help direct more airflow to the radiator, A/C condenser, and oil, tranny, and PS coolers.

Me to, I always wince when I see someone has put foglights there.
GM put fog lights in there on Z71 Tahoes. They also painted the bumper to match the body.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
IF you look inside them,, you should see to plastic air ducts, that direct air in and upward towards the coolers,, oil, trans, condenser, radiator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Those holes are there for a reason = more air flow. The rectangle hole dimensions are 6.75 inches long (or wide) by 4.50 high. They start at roughly 7.75 inches from dead center of the bumper. Hope that helps g
Thanks G...too bad I'm gonna cover up the holes with big kc fog lights......j/k thanks for the measurements

·
Registered
403 Posts
Nothing to do with intake at all. They help direct more airflow to the radiator, A/C condenser, and oil, tranny, and PS coolers.

GM put fog lights in there on Z71 Tahoes. They also painted the bumper to match the body.
I guess thats true....But when I see them on a truck I can just picture a guy going "Weeaall that looks like a dandy place for lights!":D

Then to turn them on he has to get out, pop the hood and wrap the bare wires around the battery.:p:

·
Registered
892 Posts
Those holes are for a little more air flow to the engine.

Now if GM would have done it up right, a stock intercooler would be a BA option or standard option. Then almost no need for the "Fog Light" holes.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I find them great to be a great place to store things like my winch electric cables and block warmer extension cord. Serious! :) Also a good spot for a PMD remote. Love that bumper! LOL.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Those holes are for a little more air flow to the engine.

Now if GM would have done it up right, a stock intercooler would be a BA option or standard option. Then almost no need for the "Fog Light" holes.
With an intercooler up there, the holes would have to be, in theory, even bigger. It however, would certainly not eliminate the need for them.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks for the education!!!

I appreciate it.

More later...

Z.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I heard they were foot holds for when you need to work on the truck. j/k:rolleyes:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hadn't thought of that!!!

Very creative.

I like it.

More later...

Z.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.