Diesel Place banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In front of the fuel tank, there is a cooler, I take it that it cools the returned diesel before entering the fuel tank. Today I drove out into a pasture and poked a hole into the cooler. Looks like GM needs to place some type of guard over the cooler. Has anyone else experienced this problem?:(

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
You're the first I have heard of, surprises me ya don't hear of this more often.

·
Registered
668 Posts
My '01, '03 and '04 all had guards! The '06's don't?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No guard on mine. Dealer just called, ordered a new one, he thought the cost was $189. Will build a guard for this one for the next time. I know I ran over a little tree limb, so it doesn't take much to puncture it.
I need to look under a new '06 at a dealership and see if there is a guard, maybe the whistle blew at the factory and my truck moved up one notch when the guy ran out the door.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The guard on my 04.5 lly is just a piece of preferated sheet metal.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
You may want to find out if they did leave the guard off. If so, the replacement should be covered under warranty. I'd complain anyway. Your situation proves the cooler needs a guard.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got the truck back, there is a guard on the cooler, a plated shield with perforated holes in it. Turns out the limb broke the connection fitting off the cooler. Will watch what I drive over from now on.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I have been surprised that more people havenn't messed them up... I've crunched the skidplates under the truck but still didn't get anything into the cooler. You must have driven over something just right. Wouldn't hurt to take some expanded metal mesh and make a better guard for it though. I might do that eventually.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Got the truck back, there is a guard on the cooler, a plated shield with perforated holes in it. Turns out the limb broke the connection fitting off the cooler. Will watch what I drive over from now on.

Did they charge you??? :confused:

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
in the realm of parts on these trucks 253$ isnt that bad. glad your back and running

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Mine came with a guard installed...my 2 cents.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts