Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys what are you running and what is the scoop on anything new.

Fifth wheel?

Gooseneck?

Reciever?

Just curious to see if anyone runs an airhitch?

Tom L.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Broker I run a Titan V on both my GMC's. The stock hitch came apart at the welds on my 2001. My goosenecks are the Reese 25k with a break point of 60k. My bumber mount trailers weigh around 14k and my gooseneck is sometimes over 20k.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I run a Reese 20K hitch to tow my 5er. Sure it is over kill for a ~10k 5er, but when we hooked a boat on the back of the 5er, I was glad i had a "spare" 6k left in the hitch rating.

Bob

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
I'm running a Putnam Lock and Load set up for my 9Ton dovetail gooseneck equipment trailer I occasional pull my backhoe with. It's a neat set up as it's under bed nothing in the bed to get out of the way, the spring loaded ball pops out of a well socket, covered by sealed cap until ready to tow. 30K rated also can be adapted for 5 wheel trailers, check out this site at the time they had best prices on the web. http://www.kwikhitch.com/hitches/5thwheels.htm

tekonsha prodigy brake controller is cat's (a double snakes) easy to hook up & works great another cost leader site at the time I bought 6 mos. ago http://www.truckxpressions.com/truckaccessories/towingaccessories/tekonsha_prodigy.htm

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Chevmeister,

Don't have one but went to the site looks similar to the Lock/Load I have above, with the L/L setup you don't turn over the ball it locks & stores in the ball well which is then covered with a o-ring sealed cap that sits flush with the bed. Only negative I see with the turnover is is the ball well socket covered from the elements/ dirt and other gook all truck seem to attract; I do like the capability of changing different towing balls/rigs L/L is only 2 5/16" ball or with adapter 5th wheel capable.

·
Registered
729 Posts
We use the easyrider/reese air hitch

chevman

·
Registered
612 Posts
Have just ordered a Reese Titan V to replace my 3500's OEM receiver. The OEM receiver has developed football shaped holes where the locking pin is inserted and, even thought it is reated it do so, it simply doesn't seem to be heavy enough to tow our 10,000 lb trailer. Does anybody know if we will have to remove the rear bumper to install the Titan?

Jim

·
Registered
540 Posts
Jim

Let us know how the Titan works out. I've been thinking about it.

Did you buy a new hitch or are you going to use the reducer sleeve??

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
JEBAR,

If you ordered the correct part number TITAN V you will not have to remove the bumper....It just bolts right in place of the stock.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Jebar if you want pics of the titan hitch that slides into this let me know....I also have the reducer sleeve to use for my smaller hitches...

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Broker....here is a pic of my 'remove a ball' system...this is the highest rated gooseneck for a pick up truck.

·
Registered
612 Posts
FirstDiesel...

Did you buy a new hitch or are you going to use the reducer sleeve??

I ordered a reducer sleeve. Have way too many hitches to do anything else.

Gradygost ...

If you ordered the correct part number TITAN V you will not have to remove the bumper....It just bolts right in place of the stock.

Good to hear! I hope to cut cost by installing it myself.
Did the electrical plug holder come with your Titan? I have been wondering if I will have to cut the one off of the OEM hitch and attach it to the Titan.... Jim

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
JEBar,

The Titan V that I have on both trucks comes with a mounting bracket welded onto the receiver. I used the 7 pin electrical wiring harness from my truck and just attached it to the the new receiver.

Heres is a pic of the reducer sleeve AND the big honking 2 1/2" hitch bar from Reese.

·
Registered
294 Posts
For those of us towing a trailer you might want to take a look under your bumper and see how that OEM receaver is holding up. This is what I found. Cracks in the frame at both ends and the tube starting to pull away from the frame where it go through.

Even though my trailer was below the 10,000 lb. on the OEM receaver I replaced it with a 12,000lb. Pull Rite

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Nice pic Howie.....Thats what was happening to mine so I got the Titans. Do you have pics of your PULL RITE?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
grady what the rating of the remove-a-ball?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Chevmeister,

Posted rating is 30ooolbs gross trailer weight with a pin load(vertical load) of 7500lbs. I read an article where they tested actually break strength for hitches and this one showed 'stress' at 60000lbs.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
grady the titan V says drilling required???? any truth or use existing holes?? i can and will drill but id rather not.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
The Titan is bigger than the stock therefore the hitch mounts further up the frame. So drilling will be required on some trucks.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts