Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really quick, I need to work this out because I am moving this weekend.

I was using a 3” drop hitch with my stock suspension when pulling the U-Haul Auto Transport Trailer. I installed the 7-9 kit at about 8” up front. The rear just has 5.5” blocks and 35” tires for lift.

U-Haul says no more than 25” ball height, and that’s where I am with the 3” drop. I really don’t know how high it was stock, but how much more drop will I need with the lift to pull this correctly?

I’m looking into a Putnam 15000# mount, but they only make a 6” drop. That would put me at 22”. Is this enough or should I keep looking?

Thanks!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? Wrong forum?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Right now I use a 6" drop and work great for me and its the 15000# one, but I don't have sway bars or any of that crap, I did find a 8" drop in the past that was rated at 15000# but have not seen in for the past year or so...I can't remember the name of the hitch but theres a aluminum adjustable hitch that you can get in a 10" drop thats rated for 10000# but it does cost $250...If i find what it is i'll post back, thats going to be my next investment

·
Registered
34 Posts
My buddy bought a 10 inch drop hitch from 4WheelParts for his Chevy, 6 inch Procomp, 35's. I'm not sure how much he paid for it though.

·
Registered
708 Posts
The one buildingup is talking about from 4 wheel parts is called Rapid Hitch. I have a 8" drop hitch for my truck with a 6" lift & 35's and it makes the trailer sit perfect.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Try checking out (etrailer.com)
I notice a 8" drop rated for 12000#'s

·
Registered
29 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
I use the rapid hitch adjustable 5 to 10 inch drop with my setup. It comes in handy when pulling trailers with different tongue heights...

·
Registered
497 Posts
This is not the best picture but I have a 16" drop for my truck

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
those are some pretty low drops.

I can't find anything longer than 6" that can hold more than 5000#. The only option for that is the rapid hitch.

I'm thinking about just getting an 8" drop from Tractor Supply to use this weekend. Does anyone have a recomendation for a 8"+ drop that can hold 10000#? Other than the rapid hitch?

Thanks for all of the info!

·
Registered
443 Posts
B&W has a "10" inch adjustable rated to 10k but it wont net you 10" of drop, for some reason they measure short. My 6" B&W nets about 4...or so of drop. Plus they look better than the rapid hitch.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I would also check with ur local RV dealer..I know they have to have something like a shank or something that you can use. People with lifted trucks seem to pull toy haulers with them.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks - I ended up going to a local truck shop and the guy made me a deal on a 12" rapid hitch. We'll see how it works next week.

They had the B&W, but only the 6" model.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I'd stay way from that aluminum hitch, I see allot of guys running around with them here, but aluminum breaks, steel just bends. I'd go with something stronger than aluminum.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yea, I thought about that... But I think it would take more than the max rating to snap it. And at 10,000# - I don't see it happening.

The main reason I got it was because I need to pull different trailers so I needed something adjustable and long.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts