Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering waht kind of boost you guys with turbo masters are seeing on the interstate cruising? i guess this question is for you guys with 4:10's and straight pipes. becuase doing 65-75mph say around 2300+ rpm's i forget exactly i lose all boost and get that terrible drone. at 60 i have right around 2 pounds of boost and no drone.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
around 70 I have 4-5 PSI of boost with my manual boost controller. Mine is set for 15 max

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
It has a lot to do with weight and wind drag. Working harder more heat is generated to give more boost. Each truck will be a bit different.

·
Banned
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah but with 4:10 gears results should be pretty much the same. i jsut wish the stock system wouldnt completely dump all the boost at that speed.

·
Registered
121 Posts
A tm really makes a difference with the exhaust bark. Mine changed a bunch when I ran my boost up to 15. Mine isn't straight piped, I have a 4" resonator that really rattled the glass before the tm.

@ 65 mph I'm usually running 6lbs of boost while cruising. @ 75 it's about 9lbs give or take, depending on the wind.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
With the TM the available heat is used for boost and is pretty much linear according to the setting of the TM. As the load gets greater the boost increases.

With the stock system the ECM is in control. It decides when to cut boost based on max boost, IAT, and ECT. So you could be going along and boost gets cut for reasons unknown to the driver. Just cruising along you normally get 3 to 4 lbs, as you accelerate at some point all boost will be cut.

The TM does not do this at all. When accelerating the boost is consistent.

Question is, do you need boost all of the time? The ECM doesn't think so, the TM has no choice. What's affected? Power, fuel mileage?

·
Banned
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the computer does exactly what it is supposed to i have no complaints other than north of 65 mph when it cuts all boost and i get the terrible drone becuase the wastegate is open. I have a homemade turbo master in the garage but the stock system works fine and i have a perfect working vaccum pump and a new boost solenoid if they go south before i get money to build a 18:1 i will put it on. but is there anyway to fool the computer to give me 2-3 pounds of boost at 65 - 75 as it does when cruising around 60mph

·
Registered
86 Posts
before my turbo master i was getting 2-3 lbs of boost at 60-65 MPH and the exhaust was really loud and unbareable but with the TM i run about 5lbs of boost and highway speed and the exhaust is not nearly as loud

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Search for boost fooler.

Basically a resistor on the MAP (boost) sensor to lower the boost reading to the ECM.

·
Banned
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
but wont that spend my boost spikes alot higher? right now it will spike 15-16 then settle 10-12 and go down from there. i dont wanna blow the lid off of this thing or crack a piston i know i cant afford 18:1 yet

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Not sure, but an IC might help.

To get your answer you need to know why there is no boost at 70. If boost is based on boost level, IAT, and ECT then knowing these numbers might tell you why. If it's IAT an IC would lower that and give more boost.

·
Banned
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah i guess i jsut figured it was a fuel economy thing, never thought about it the other way, intercooler is going to be a summer project. I plan on buying the autoenginuty scanner or if that progammer for the 6.5 ever comes out that is suppose to be like EFI live for the 6.5 i'll get that i dont wanna by one and then have a better one that lets you modify your truck come out right afterwards i guess i'll jsut have to slow down to 60 or crank up the radio

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Maybe some exhaust tuning?

·
Registered
407 Posts
yea i see about 6 or 7 psi i think going 70 65 mph. My exhaust has a constand growl but i like it!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Call up Kennedy Diesel. He has a chip that retains the vacuum system. Maybe he can give you specifics on how it runs at speed.

I agree that the vacuum system is a decent way to stay, but once I get guages I am all over the Kennedy chip :)

E

·
0 Posts
z79outlaw;1577191; said:
yeah i guess i jsut figured it was a fuel economy thing, never thought about it the other way, intercooler is going to be a summer project. I plan on buying the autoenginuty scanner or if that progammer for the 6.5 ever comes out that is suppose to be like EFI live for the 6.5 i'll get that i dont wanna by one and then have a better one that lets you modify your truck come out right afterwards i guess i'll jsut have to slow down to 60 or crank up the radio
We do plan on supporting the 6.5's - we just don't have a definate time frame - other than it's not on the cards for the next 6 months of development.

We currently offer Scanning, code clearing and datalogging on the 6.5 on FlashScan V1 and FlashScan V2. Scan Only V1 retails for $249 and V2 $399. When a customer purchases our Scan Only version, they can upgrade to Scan and Tune when it suits them via internet upgrade. Upgrade pricing is the difference between Scan price and the Scan and tune price plus an administrative fee.

You will find our supported parameters in this link. http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1520663&postcount=4

Cheers
Cindy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts