Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I need more light when I'm backing up.
The stock bulbs just don't throw out enough light
(IMHO). I've noticed that several of you list
100w backup lights. Were do you get them and
do they melt the housings (like I've heard
can happen in the fog light application).

I'll try the higher wattage bulbs if they
don't melt anything, but it that don't cut it,
I guess I'll have to mount some lights on my receiver
hitch.....

Thanks for any insight,

T.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
I have 50w backup lights. Picked them up at Pep Boys. They're OK. Better than stock but not a whole lot.

·
Registered
570 Posts

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Voodoo, that looks like not a bad product. It even doesn't look bad on the truck. Any idea what they cost?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Max Power said:
Voodoo, that looks like not a bad product. It even doesn't look bad on the truck. Any idea what they cost?

Max Power,

Not sure on the price, I had seen them a few months back on another forum and thought they were cool so I kept the link. When my truck gets in I may order a kit. The only thing I wasn't to sure about is, the housing looks like It's plastic.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I called and ordered a set today. I will let you all know how they work out.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Voodoo said:
Max Power said:

Max Power,

Not sure on the price, I had seen them a few months back on another forum and thought they were cool so I kept the link. When my truck gets in I may order a kit. The only thing I wasn't to sure about is, the housing looks like It's plastic.
And not only that, but if you have the OEM factory
tow package, you have to relocate the trailer wiring plug to the side of this unit. I need to hear some opinioins
on this kit, I'm not "sold" yet.

just my opinion,

T.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Just don't install ones that draw more amps than the stockers.....

You can melt the stock wiring harness.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hired Gun - did you get these suckers installed yet?

I'm itchin' to do something, and saw a nice looking kit from Cabelas for $29 CLICK These are the same brightness/bulb configuration as the White Night, but mount with 3M tape... makes for an easy install, but they may not "hang on" forever.

Not to highjack this thread... but while we are on the subject, is the 12V+ in the 7WAY trailer harness suitable for this type of load (2 55Watt bulbs)? How about supplying power to a 12 Volt outlet in the bed (for plug in coolers and other 12V stuff)?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
kjo43 said:
I'm itchin' to do something, and saw a nice looking kit from Cabelas for $29 CLICK These are the same brightness/bulb configuration as the White Night, but mount with 3M tape... makes for an easy install, but they may not "hang on" forever.

Not to highjack this thread... but while we are on the subject, is the 12V+ in the 7WAY trailer harness suitable for this type of load (2 55Watt bulbs)? How about supplying power to a 12 Volt outlet in the bed (for plug in coolers and other 12V stuff)?
The trailer plug wireing is exactly what I used for my
add-on reverse lights. The red/black wires are probably
a 10 guage - plenty big IMHO. Here's how mine turned
out =>Backup Lights

I'll be replacing these cheap "prototypes" with
some KC HiLites (#517) when they arrive....
http://www.kchilites.com/matrix_26_series.html
I ordered just the lights from SummitRacing.

hth,

T.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Terry,

Help me understand your wiring scheme... I thought the Cargo Lamp switch was a (-) switch. I can only see how it could be wired in with the aux lights and reverse circuit by using 2 relays, is that how you did it?

When I do mine, I am going to use the reverse circuit and Cargo Lamp Switch just like your install, I am also considering an additional 3 way switch at the rear of the truck. The goal of doing this would be:

1. A cutoff which would allow use of the Cargo Light Without aux lights coming on (sometimes I carry loads in the dark and its nice to be able to watch them, but the additional aux lights would be blinding for other traffic)

2. Normal mode, aux lights would come on with Cargo Light

3. Manual mode, be able to turn aux lights on from the rear of the truck.

I will check out those #517's, thanks for the info, and nice informative site you got there...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
kjo43 said:
Terry,
Help me understand your wiring scheme... I thought the Cargo Lamp switch was a (-) switch. I can only see how it could be wired in with the aux lights and reverse circuit by using 2 relays, is that how you did it?
When I do mine, I am going to use the reverse circuit and Cargo Lamp Switch just like your install, I am also considering an additional 3 way switch at the rear of the truck. The goal of doing this would be:
1. A cutoff which would allow use of the Cargo Light Without aux lights coming on (sometimes I carry loads in the dark and its nice to be able to watch them, but the additional aux lights would be blinding for other traffic)
2. Normal mode, aux lights would come on with Cargo Light
3. Manual mode, be able to turn aux lights on from the rear of the truck.
I will check out those #517's, thanks for the info, and nice informative site you got there...
Heh - where were you when I asked which wires control the Cargo lights?
I haven't actually installed the second relay yet in the hopes that someone would tell me about a better method. Short of that - yes, I'll be using a second relay to control the reverse lights and cargo lights with the Cargo light switch.....

thanks!

T.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I actually just learned of the wires that control the cargo light on a recent thread here (I like this place
)... I have yet to go digging and see if this matches up to my '02 also. Maybe I will get a quick drawing together of how I plan to wire and we can compare to see if one way is better than the other or we come up with the same idea.

I'd also like a brief review of those 517's once you get them installed as they may be exactly what I'm looking for. Project is on hold for a while anyway... tomorrow's forecast: Sunny and 15.

·
Registered
107 Posts
hoot said:
I have 50w backup lights. Picked them up at Pep Boys. They're OK. Better than stock but not a whole lot.

I tried some $15 Pep Boys lights too. I came to the same conclusion; they were not bright enough. They looked similar to the ones the Chevy dealer put on trucks. I figured that was what the job called for. Mistake #1

I mounted these lights to a hardened steel bumper bracket. It was very hard steel and broke the screws that came with the lights. I had to redrill several of the holes. I wish I tapped the holes and used machine screws. Mistake #2

Finally, I mounted the aux backup lights fairly close to the hitch receiver as the dealer's typically install them. Wrong. Mistake #3. Place them closer to the sides of the truck, so light goes where you can see it. Close to the hitch is bad and a good way to trash them as you back up to your tag trailer--this happened to me a few weeks later. Putting them farther apart avoids damage, and puts the light where you need.

The extra backup lights should be able to illuminate things up off the ground. Putting them up high makes sense if you want to light up everything behind you. But there is no place up high unless you have a permanent cap or a Suburban. The next best thing is a bright wide beam. Make sure it not obscured by the bumper so you can see everything--not just things close to the ground.

The wiring was easier than I thought. I pulled power from the center conductor of the 7 prong trailer jack. Center conductors on a trailer connector are the heaviest gauge. As I recall the gauge on the wire was fairly beefy, I'd guess about 10 gauge. 100 watt lights pulls about 8 amps. 10 gauge would be maxed out at 50 amps--about what the existing backup lights plus 500 watts of auxilary lights would draw--which is way more than needed..

Use solder and tape if you want to pull big power off this spot and always fuse every place you split off wire. The fuse should less than or equaly to the gauge of the wire.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I'm in the process of installing additional back up lights (2-55w, under the bumper), and I powered the relay using the light green back up lamp wire. I have checked the red wire in the harness that is supposed to be battery, and got no voltage reading at all.
Do I have the correct wire, or am I missing something? I am going to check further tomorrow, as I ran out of daylight today.

Question #2: I want to install a switch in the overhead console to activate the lights without having the truck in reverse. Do I need a second relay to do this, or can I simply power a switch and splice into the same relay that the new lights are using? My thinking is that if I splice a switch into the relay, it will also turn on the factory back up lamps as well as the new 55 watters. It would be fine if all 4 lights came on by doing it this way, but I don't want to screw something up if there is that possibility.

I guess, basically what I'm asking is; can a relay be powered by two seperate power sources?

Thanks for any guidance you can give me.

Kevin

Edited by: Fireman

·
Registered
149 Posts
For power on the red wire there is a fuse you have to put in the fuse panel under the hood- top left hand corner as viewed from the side by standing beside the front fender. Yes you should be able to power the relay from a switch as well, and that would turn your backup lights on unless you put a diode inline from the light green backup wire to the relay.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Thanks army,

I'll give it a look this afternoon. I appreciate the help!

Kevin

·
Registered
463 Posts
Well, I added a fuse and everything works great! Thanks army!

Man, the extra light is sure nice! It makes a huge difference in visibility. All in all, not bad for a $30 investment.

Kevin

1 - 20 of 41 Posts