Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I've fixed my 200 deg. hauling tempature.

The other symtoms were a little fuel in the exhaust cloud. bad milage and RPM higher than normal at idle.

This was the final clue for me. The IAT sensor was leaking oil above the brass nut. To me, this says the sensor has lost it's integrity. For $23 dollars it was replaced. I pulled a loaded trailer home and just to test my theory, I ran full potential and the truck didn't see more than ten degrees rise even on the hills. I said what the hey this morning and I'm going to run full boost from now on to see if the truck will run hot. I've pulled two loads so far and not ever 1 deg. rise this last trip.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Hmmmm;

It would seem to make sense! Another one of those shared expierence things....

Thanks Quantum!

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
16gaSxS,

What do you do on the farm?

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All seemed fine untill I ran the a/c during a haul. The tempature seemed to jump to 200 deg. again. At idle, I kept hearing the fan clutch cycle on and off.

I removed the harmonic pulley for inspection by morning light. and since the fan was off, I degreased it and pressure washed it.

There was a build up of grease and grit coating the thermostatic coil. I sprayed the radiator as best I could with it exposed.

The fan clutch engages for longer durations now and The temps seem to stay relatively more manageable.

I also cut 2" off the battery cables and the alt. cable, exposing fresh wire. This seems to have cured a few ticks. My viper alarm works again, The speedo and tach don't jump when I use the turn signals and it starts quicker.Edited by: quantum mechanic

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Have you cleaned the areas between the oil cooler, ac condenser, and radiator ?

A favorite hangout of leaves and other junk - something to do with frontal air flow in the '88-up bodies.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The build-up was pretty light, but I would like to take the time to disassemble the cores and pressure wash them (carefully).

Still loaded from last night.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts