Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does it hurt to run in the high 2's and low 3's while pulling in drive? I have always pulled in drive and only used OD on flat highways where there is no strain. But then again my truck didn't red line in the 3's and there aren't many flat spot on the way to the lake.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Use overdrive all the time, I never drop it down manually.

I usually just kept my other diesels in 3rd(drive) and then slapped her into OD when I wanted. I did that getting on the highway ramp with My dmax when it was in my possesion 5 mins...Redlined it before I was even on the highway.

Keep it in OD, Let the tranny do the work. No sense revving a engine when it doesnt need to be.

Bill

·
Registered
138 Posts
Put a little "Juice" on it and it will never shift out of overdrive unless that boat of yours weighs a whole lot more than my 8,500# fifth wheel.

·
Registered
433 Posts
When should you use the Tow/Haul mode? Is there a certain weight factor when using it? I have a 10' foot slide-in camper and I also pull my 16' foot trailer with four 4-wheelers. I normally put it is Tow/Haul when I run this full setup. But if I just pull my 4-wheelers with no camper, I normally keep the Tow/Haul mode OFF. Should I use it no matter what I am towing? I just find that I lose on gas mileage when the Tow/Haul is on.

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
acehi, I don't pull very heavy, mostly box and utility trailers. I use tow/haul in stop and go traffic when towing. Also use it in hilly conditions when grade braking is important. Any other time I'm in regular mode. I think starting and stopping under heavy load is when tow/haul is most important. Running steady on level ground regular mode (with overdrive) is fine for me.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tom, What level of juice do you have? Do you know what you EGT's are on the low tune?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Run that puppy in OD, when towing use tow haul, the tranny's made to handle the load, not like the old junk overdrives.

I have a Powerstroke that I put 150,000 on with alot of towing and I never used D, I have put 31,000 on my DMax and same thing, I think the tow haul helps to take strain off of motor and trans when towing as well as brakes!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I only tow about 5800#'s. If i am in OD it just fills like I am lugging it. The 285's probably don't help any thing. I'm going to put some kind of tune on it but haven't decidied which one yet.I here that the juice is great but I hate to spend $800 for 50hp. I don't care to go above the tow setting. I have been giving bully dog power pup a thought

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
wakeboarder said:
Tom, What level of juice do you have? Do you know what you EGT's are on the low tune?

I have a "regular" Juice version 4.61. I run on level 4 empty and step down depending on the weight that I'm towing. Pulling my 6x12x6 box trailer (1300#) empty I'll run on level 3. Fully loaded I go to level 2. My empty EGTs run 650-700 cruising at 65-70 on the interstate. Towing the empty trailer on level 3 EGTs run 850-900 and I have never had to back out for EGTs, even in windy and uphill conditions. Pulling loaded, I have had to back out maybe a handfull of times to keep my EGTs at or below the yellow line of 1150. In moving over to my new job in Ohio, I pulled my trailer back and forth from Sandusky Ohio to Elkton Maryland every weekend for seven weeks. Climbing and running on the western end of the PA turnpike I ran on cruise control in OD (regular mode) every time except for the rare kickout fully loaded to control temps. I shifted to tow/haul for grade braking only when taking exit ramps or coming to toll booths and left it there until back up to 55 or so and shifted back to normal and onto cruise. In backing out for EGTs, I have never stopped accelerating, just reduced acceleration to a level that kept the needle on the yellow line.Edited by: Idle_Chatter

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info. I am trying to decide if I have to put gauges in. I realy don't want to do it if I don't have to. In the area that I pull in there aren't many place that are a prolong grade pull. Mostly short steep hill about 1/8 or a 1/4 mile long and they take about a 1/4 throttle in drive to klimb them. Every now and then 3/4 throttle. Its only a 35 mile trip one way.Edited by: wakeboarder

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
wakeboarder said:
Thanks for the info. I am trying to decide if I have to put gauges in. I realy don't want to do it if I don't have to.

Well, I put on gauges well before I juiced my truck. The key element in whether you will need gauges is in your self-control. Many people have found that towing in level 2 will not get you into temp trouble except in some rare situations. However, with gauges I've seen how high temps can rise and how quickly. If you don't get angry at the slowpoke who's been holding you back and floor it all the way up the hill to get around them you'll be safe. If you always stay in level 2 when towing and exercise moderation you should be fine. If you don't have to pull a grade against the wind for 10 miles you'll be okay. Key item is that you'll be "flying blind" and will be losing opportunities on many occasions and pressing your luck on others. An EGT gauge is a very good investment even if you never power-add to your truck and practically a necessity if you do.

·
Registered
433 Posts
wakeboarder, if you get the juice w/Attitude they say it can increase your HP an additional 125. And your torque up an additional 250 ft. lbs. I don't know for a fact that it does but I can definately feel a difference in each mode 1 - 5. I have a source where you can get a Juice w/Attitude Monitor for $700 delivered next day air. With the monitor you will not need to add gauges. It will read just about everything you want it to. I have mine reading the EGT, Boost and gear. There are many settings you can have. But my main ones that I am concerned about are the EGT's and Boost. The rest I just go through and change every now and then just to watch something different. I have my monitor mounted in my overhead console just above the mirror. I will take some pictures and post them later.

Jeff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts