Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

First post on the forum. Lots of good info and thanks to those who set this up.

I had a pyrometer sensor installed on the manifold passenger side before the turbo. Not sure if this was present before the install, but after the engine is warmed up, I'm getting a high pitched whine that appears to be loudest at the driver's side wheel well. We're talking ear ringing pitch similar to the feedback you used to get through speakers from bad spark plugs. Changes with RPM and seems loudest at about 2,200 RPM and when RPM's are dropping.

Anyone had this issue? The truck is an '04 and has less then 2,000 miles on it. I can hear dog whistles, too, and the whine is starting to give me a headache most of the time.

Would it be a turbo leak, exhaust leak or possibly a small fuel rail leak?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Steve S. in Kent, WA

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Steve,

welcome to the forum. i hope you find it informative. i hear a noise like you mention from my buddies truck when the pyro wasn't tightened all the way, and exhaust gas was escaping around it. it made a noise that followed the engine in RPM, although the change in the noise was "behind" the engine by about a half a second.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Mackin, I was thinking the same thing.

Steve

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I'm guessing Isspro?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks All,

The answer to the gauge question is "Isspro". Did I miss something here? I haven't installed the gauge yet, only the pyrometer itself, so I could do a return for a different one.

Steve S. Kent, WAEdited by: smshiver

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
i thought it was only the boost gauge that made the annoying whine?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
They have said the whine/hum that is noticed after installing EGT temperature gauge and pyro , is coming from the signal amplifier box ..... It's the diode, resistor or something that is the problem .....

I have not heard of a definate fix yet ....

Mac

·
Registered
224 Posts
I thought they'd fix it..? - Mine doesn't whine and I waited a few weeks for it to get here because JK was waiting for the new ones to get to him..

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Yeah, the new versions are out from what I read back in Sept. I got mine from JK shortly after that and there is no whine.

·
Registered
347 Posts
They did fix it. My truck is as quite now as before the install.

However, from day one (before I installed the gages), I did notice a high-pitched whine that seemed associated with increase engine speed. This was not turbo whine. It appears to be electronic in nature and seems to track with the accelerator pedal movement. I can be at speed, push down on the go pedal for more speed
, and I hear the electronic whine. It sounds to be coming from the dash behind and to the left of the speedo cluster.

I've learned to tune it out....

Later....

·
Registered
939 Posts
I also had the whine from my Isspro EGT box. I called Isspro a few weeks ago, talked to I believe Scott in Aftermarket and they sent me a new box, no questions asked!! I asked if they wanted the old one back and he said no, trash it or give it to someone you don't like!! Had it within 3 days UPS.

New box is quiet as can be!!

Bob

·
Registered
244 Posts
JMPDMax said:
...from day one (before I installed the gages), I did notice a high-pitched whine that seemed associated with increase engine speed. This was not turbo whine. It appears to be electronic in nature and seems to track with the accelerator pedal movement. I can be at speed, push down on the go pedal for more speed
, and I hear the electronic whine. It sounds to be coming from the dash behind and to the left of the speedo cluster.

I've learned to tune it out....
I'd sure like to know where this whine is coming from. I hear it under light acceleration only. It's definitely affected by go pedal position, and the sound is hard to localize. I think it's coming from the left side of the truck and my passenger thinks it's coming from the right side. I don't hear it much in solo driving, but when I'm pulling the trailer the pedal spends a lot of time in the position where the whine is emitted, and I'm not able to tune it out. It drives me nuts! The truck is totally stock.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Remember.... the turbocharger has a high pitched whine that goes with engine rpms.

·
Registered
244 Posts
This whine is at a constant frequency, I'd guess in the vicinity of 20,000 hz. The only thing that varies is its loudness. It's the loudest under light acceleration, and inaudable at constant speed or heavier acceleration.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had the truck in to the dealer on Friday and the tech couldn't hear the whine. Sounds like a TV with the volume down and DOES change with RPM. The tech talked to GM and and GM said there MAY be an issue with a whine related to the turbocharger. The dealer tech is going to talk to someone else at GM on Monday. The only part installed is the fitting for the pyro probe with a cap on it. The probe is NOT installed at this time and the whine is still there. The whine didn't show up until I had about about 1500 miles on the truck.

I'll let everyone know if they find anything out. The whine is irritating.Edited by: smshiver

·
Registered
626 Posts
Do you have the wife or girl friend in the truck, maby that is were the whine is coming from..
Edited by: Blue Max

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
New information and update ....

The left rear door open sensor went bad
and took the truck to the dealer today and they could hear the whine. Again, extremely high pitched, but heard from up to 20 feet away. The service manager said that the whine was NOT normal and they gave me a loaner car while they try to determine the cause. Only there when fully warmed up, goes away after idling for 5 minutes or more. Loudest near the left front wheel well.

They think it may be in the exhaust, turbo or the injector pump. We'll see ....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts