Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the other day that all the CAA (our equivalent of your US AAA) tow trucks around here are DuraMax 3500. I decided I'd talk to as many as I can come accross - got the first one today. He was driving a 2001 with 189,000 KM (118K Miles). I asked if he had any injector problems, I was hoping he was going to say "no, why?" but instead he came out with "I'm on my THIRD SET OF INJECTORS!!" He said the last set were injectors for a 2003 and that all the CAA truck fleet had big problems. Unfortunetly I was blocking traffic and had to move on at that point. I thought all the injector talk up til now was mostly loose rumour based on not much fact, but now I'm not feeling so good.

I'm going to make a point of talking to more of these drivers - anyone have any specific questions they'd like me to ask for the next time I come accross one?

On Edit -I know 118K MIles isn't that high, but I'm hoping some of the other trucks will be much higher...Edited by: EnerMax

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have talked to several operators of a new thing in my area; mini bin trash collection. They provide open containers at residential construction sites. These bins are delivered on a dual-wheel tandem gooseneck trailer 30 ft. in length. They carry a NEW Holland with forks to lift the bins in a trash collector that follows them around. The operators I have talked to about relialbility issues was what I wanted to hear.The 2001 operator claimed over 100,000 no issues ; a 2003 operator was in the 90,000 area with only a computer issue. These trucks are never un hooked from the trailers, with weights of 10,000 lbs at all times.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Please ask them whether or not they are running secondary filtration.

Rick

·
Registered
693 Posts
I would ask them where they buy their diesel and be sure to head somewhere else...

I am adding GM recommended stanadyne performance formula *and* stanadyne lubricity formula. GM does say to use a lubricity additive if you want increased life from fuel system. BTW - I have read that canada is the worst in the world for lubricity of fuel, when low sulfur diesel first hit the market in canada, VW Canada gave every VW diesel owner a complimentary case of stanadyne lubricity additive and requested that they *please* use it.

jeff

·
Registered
251 Posts
To bad we just cant add some Marvel Mystery oil or ATF like the old days.

·
Registered
747 Posts
This may also be a case of fleet maintenance or lack of such. Ask them about additives, filter changes, additional filtration. I used to work maintenance for a government agency and they refused to hear about preventative maintenance -- "Don't change parts unless they are broken, stopped up, fall apart, etc". Of course, that gave me lots of overtime when something did break down.
The only vehicle that received pm work was the supervisor's truck. We only changed oil and filters on everything else once/year!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
flhrciblueice - good point, I'll ask the next guy more details on maintenance. I'm guessing no additional filtration since he didn't say anything, but I'll take the time to talk more next time. I live by one of the on-ramps to the highway where they like to sit during rush hour so finding them isn't usually much of a problem.

·
Registered
403 Posts
The dealer that I purchased my Duramax from last Jan. is also a personal friend with whom I shoot skeet.

Saw him last week and he asked about my truck, I told him all was well.

He stated that some of his customers were approaching 300k on theirs!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Spoke to Driver # 2. His Duramax 2001 3500 had 100K KM (~62K Miles) and was just returned to him from his second go around with injectors. Truck was in the shop for 8 weeks to have 2 injectors done. He said the 8 weeks was because the dealer didn't know what they were doing and was going back and forth with GM. This was the second dealer tried and he's moving to a another dealer in town for future maintenance.

I start by asking the mileage on their trucks, then "any injector problems.." and both drivers responded with "What do you think?". That's painful - if I hadn't come accross this site I wouldn't even have known to ask the question??

Other comments - 18 vehicles in fleet, all with injector problems except 1. No secondary fuel filtration (or he didn't know about it if there was one), GM instructed no additives, the one truck with no problems to date has 70K KM and has had additives since day one? I know from my university statistics classes that you can't draw anything from a sample this small, that the information is second hand, and that we're talking about a closed sample (all from the same fleet)...Still, I'm not as optimistic as I once was.

I was hoping for much higher mileage from these trucks, but I guess they're mostly in town short haul vehicles.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I'm curious how many hours they have on them, too.. Perhaps there are trucks with 3 or 4 times the miles on them with the same hours?

·
Registered
391 Posts
dirty old man said:
wow I shoot skeet with the guy who sold me mine....boy do I give him crap, he probubly won't sell me another...says I worry too much

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

The dealer that I purchased my Duramax from last Jan. is also a personal friend with whom I shoot skeet.

Saw him last week and he asked about my truck, I told him all was well.

He stated that some of his customers were approaching 300k on theirs!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Spoke to 3rd Driver - this time another CAA guy. He only had 40K KM on his truck (~25K Miles)....but he had what they all thought was a 'bad injector' problem. He says GM just got back to them after looking at everything and told them it was a tiny piece of fule filter paper that clogged one of the injectors.

I'm going to try and find someone in the CAA fleet service area to see if I can confirm this. With issues on all but one of their trucks GM has requested that filters be changed monthly (and GM will refund cost for now).

If this is infact true, pre OEM solutions may not prevent what people are seeing - they'll never filter out the OEM filter particals moving to the injectors? That's scary.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
I read some of your replies about secondary filtration and fuel additives.

These trucks cost 35-50 thousand dollers. (Depending on the aplication) and there is no ryme or reason for anyone thinking we should have to add these things just to get to 100,000 miles.

These items shoud be considered as extra insurance, not mandatory.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts