Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I found an 03 duramax ext cab 4x4 ls in very good condition at a dealer that I can buy for around $14,000, the only problem is that it has 285,000 miles on it. The truck is loaded, buckets, bose, etc and is very nice. The injectors have been done and the truck has been serviced at the dealer, it was used to deliver trailers. What do you think of the deal, or is it something to stay away from? Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
Figure also that 1/2 of those are most likely highway miles with no load. I would look for signs of power adders.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
14,000 is maybe slightly high for a truck with 285,000 miles...I could understand if the truck was a crew cab or LT, but since its an extended cab LS, I would maybe make an offer a little bit lower. Defiently test drive it first, run a VIN check, and pay close attention to how it runs. Does the turbo spool well? Does it smoke at all? If that all checks out, you could have yourself a good deal...there are more than a few Dmax's out there with over 400,000 miles and they are holding up very well..

Ben

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Besides the engine, check for loose front end stuff, balljoints, tie rods, wheel bearings, all that stuff.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I could not imagine paying over $15k with tax on a vehicle with 300,000 miles. I would expect this thing to nichel and dime you to death and that is if you are lucky. I could never trust it unless I was the one that owned it since it was new. I paid $32800 for mine brand new. I would buy a new one or one with a resonable amount of miles on her.
Kirk

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Man then my truck must be worth $16K!!lol

I have 242K mostly highway...maybe 5k are city. Mines held up like a champ, and i drive it like a $2 hooker. All she needed was a water-pump and alternator so far,now injectors are on the way. Plus I'm lookin at drag racingt mine too once i get a trans... About 75% of my miles are loaded w/ at least 3k all the way to 18K behind

·
Registered
199 Posts
i wouldnt worry, i own 3 03's, granted they are the silverado series, and strickly work trucks, but all three are over 200k, and none have had major problems thus far, but i think 14,000 is too high for the truck. offer 12K, see what happens

·
Registered
580 Posts
I don't know what part of the country you're in but around here a LS extended cab with those miles will never bring that kind of money. The LT Crew Cabs will bring top dollar though. Check the For Sale classifieds here in the forum. Might find a deal. Good Luck

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I found it hard to believe, but KBB found the retail price for that truck a little over $23,000!

Evidently KBB doesn't deduct anything for high mileage on diesels.

I'd offer them $12,000 and work from there.

·
Registered
826 Posts
My 03 LS had everything but leather and Onstar. EVERYTHING

I think the designations have changed recently.

When I traded it in the dealer was even confused by the amount of factory options for an LS. I showed him the window sticker to prove it was all factory.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am with you guys, I don't mind the high miles but I offered him $12,000 the other day, he would not take it. I will probably go as high as $13000 but thats it. The truck is nice, drives like new, interior is like new, no wear at all, no scratches on the truck. It is going to need tires soon though. I'll let him sit on it and see what happens. I am actually looking for a LT crew but spotted this and the low price drew me in... I am cheap...lol. Is the allison capable of that many miles? Seems like a lot of major stuff is ready to go at 300k, but who knows.:confused:

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
If your are gonna play with it, it will probably cost the same to beef up the tranny no mater how many miles.:):):)

·
Registered
199 Posts
With 285,000 Miles On An 03, Most Likely It Is All Highway, And If The Truck Was Used For Moving Trailers, Chances Are Half Of Those Highway Miles Are Empty Miles... The Allison Is A Good Tranny, And If Its Been Maintained Properly Then Yeah It Should Go Forever, But Just To Be Sure The First Thing I Would Do Is Flush And Change The Filter In It. I Wouldnt Worry About It. Specially If Your Not Gonna Work It Hard By Towing All The Time. The One Thing I Would Worry About Is Glowplugs, Starter And The Batteries, And Maybe The Rear End If It Was Heavy Towing. The Motor Is Capable Of Many More Miles As Well As The Tranny. Just Simple Maintenance Things Are All I'd Worry About

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
i have 243K w/ no tranny changes..just the spin on every 11k miles.

i beat the dog piss outta mine and its showing its age now,but if someone who had common sense drove it it'll be a .ok,lol

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He would not budge at all on price so I told him to call me if he does not have any luck selling it. Thanks for the opinions.
Mike

·
Registered
506 Posts
If you don't mind the mileage then you might as well give him the 14k. Like other have said, the book is over 20k and that is with a $5000 deduction for the miles. According to Nada.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts