Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the high idler a GM or after market park? Went to O'riellys...never heard of it.....went to my local GM....they never heard of it. I know they are for sale on this site, but I was looking to support the local bussiness
....but if they can not come up with it!

·
Registered
217 Posts
To further elaborate ....

The high idle programming is already present in the electronics. The wire just needs to be hooked up to activate it!

John

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the info...no wounder everyone was looking at me like I was nuts!

I do not understand step 11. I says to puncture a hole in the yellow wire insulation? Why is this? I did not see any other ref to this wire in the steps that follow.

I think this is my weekend project.

I was thinking of mounting a LED on light, has anyone done this?

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
NoWake200 said:
Thank you for the info...no wounder everyone was looking at me like I was nuts!

I do not understand step 11. I says to puncture a hole in the yellow wire insulation? Why is this? I did not see any other ref to this wire in the steps that follow.

I think this is my weekend project.

done this?

There would be no easy way to do the LED light unless the PCM has an output when it is on high idle. Not really necessary because its not hard to tell when your on high idle.

I was thinking of mounting a LED on light, has anyone

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
I have the kits for 10.00. includes prepared harness with conduit grommet and connectors needed. Max is right though, if you have a terminal, you can do it yourself.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Max, I was just looking to set something up to let me know the switch was in the on position. But your are correct I'll know when it is on.

I still do not understand step 11. Why are we doing this?

dmaxalliTech, I already ordered the pin from my local GM parts guy. I thought it was a kit from GM. I am going to start working on it this weekend.

·
Whipper Snapper
4,490 Posts
There is just a small piece of rubber insulation between the black housing of the ECM connectors and the "wire management" box (a little piece of plastic with a whole bunch of wholes for each of the wires running to the connector housing). Once you are looking at the back of the ECM connector with the wire cover off, you'll see the insulation/rubber in all the unused wholes. I assume it's probably just there to prevent dust and stuff from getting in there. It's no big deal, I just poked it out with my test light. If you don't poke it out, it'll be difficult to get the terminal in (though you will probably still be able to get it in, it'll just be a PITA) so it's recommended that you poke out the insulation first.

·
Registered
22 Posts
What does this high idle do anyway? ive been really curious about this.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Prycer, it ups the idle from ~700rpm to 1150rpm. This allows for quicker warm ups, quicker turbo cool downs, higher alternator amperage output etc.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sp33d,

I get it!
I was reading it as putting a hole in a wire's insulation! Thank you for clearing it up.

dmaxalliTech,

That would explain why everyone was looking at me like I was nuts!
But would think the guys at my GM location would have know this...there are alot of diesels running around Missouri.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The install went great! But the instructions said to set the parking brake. I was showing off my new $10 option and realized the P brake was not set.....it still worked ok.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts