Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help here guys. Tried to install high idle on my neighbors 02 DMAX tonight. It doesn't work. I followed the instructions on Kennedy's web site. Is it posible that he needs to go to the dealer and have them hook the tech 2 on like it says in kennedy's instructions? The only other thing I can think of is that the terminal is not making contact, I checked it twice and think it is in all the way. With the switch on there is power at the terminal on the ECM. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I just did mine tuesday and it works great. Make sure you have the right terminal. Did you take off the blue shield to install the terminal? It pushes in from the back and it will "click" Its C-71. Make sure wherever you tapped in for power,that it is live when the truck in is park an idling. Other than that, its simple. C-71 ECM to switch. Power to switch. Turn on switch and push cruise settings. Sorry if I sound short I dont really feel like typing a whole bunch.:drinking:

·
LT. Dan
6,817 Posts
yes make sure you have the terminal completly in the pin. when i first did mine it was in there but was not making good contact. if that is good are you pushing the set or accel button twice?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I tried pusing the button twice. I will check again to make sure im in the right spot, but im almost sure I am. I saw one thing different between this truck and kennedys instructions. In his instructions he say's there is a blue and red connector. This one had a blue and clear connector. Just figured it was different between trucks.

·
LT. Dan
6,817 Posts
i dont know if there is a open pin on the TCM but make sure you are tapping in to the ECM. its the one that is NOT on the fan shroud but the one located on the drivers side of the engine compartment.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TOTHEMAX!;1564637; said:
i dont know if there is a open pin on the TCM but make sure you are tapping in to the ECM. its the one that is NOT on the fan shroud but the one located on the drivers side of the engine compartment.
Yes i am on the ECM. The one mounted sorta under the tcm that you have to take the black plastic cover off to get to. I fell kinda stupid that I can't get this to work, im a mechanic and this shoulda been easy. Gotta get back over there and try again.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Let it run a minute or so before you turn it on. I thought mine wasn't working, but if it's really cold out, the engine has to run a half a minute or so before the high idle will come on. I'm pretty sure the computer won't let it high idle until it thinks it's safe. Also, until it warms further, it will run on the 1200 setting but not the 1700.

·
LT. Dan
6,817 Posts
yes try waiting for the volt meter to go above 15 (after the glow plugs stop drawing juice). also try getting rid of the switch all together. take the wire comming from the ECM and tap it into the green/white wire at the brake switch. the brake switch is located at the top of the brake lever under the dash. try that

·
Registered
787 Posts
According to gm sometimes you have to let the truck sit for the ecm to relearn. You may also want to make sure there isn't something feeding wrong like the brake switch is bad or something that the logic is causing it to turn off. Does it bump at all when you hit the idle?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
winter200;1566451; said:
. Does it bump at all when you hit the idle?
No, it doesn't seem to move at all. But that was tuesday night. He was gonna drive it and make sure it was warmed up wednesday and try it, never heard back.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I finally got back over there tonight to look at it. Sure enough I didn't have the terminal in all the way. Put it back together and it works, sorta. When I flip the switch on it goes right to 1250 and starts missiing and shaking. If I push the set button it seems to smooth out but still misses. It doesn't do this when the switch is off and i hold the pedal at 1250. If I push the resume button it just starts missing worse but wont speed up to 1700 like the instructions say. He had set up an appointment at the dealer for tomorrow to have them look at it before I told him I would figure out why it didn't work at all. Now I told him to take it in anyway and see if they can figure out why it misses. One more question i have is does it make a difference if i hook it to constant power versus switched, in kennedy's instructions it says to hook to switched unless you have remote start, that must mean it won't hurt to have it constant.

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
Am I reading this right? That you have a second switch hooked up and connected to a power source? Thats wrong.

One wire was all you needed. Goes from ECM to brake pedal switch, connect to green/white wire. Done. You only need to use the cruise control switch to make it work.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I hooked it up the way it says to on www.kennedydiesel.com in the tech tips. I did use a toggel switch because it wasnt till after I did this that I read on here that I didnt need it. I figured it had to work this way or they wouldn't have put it in the instructions, not as convinent as just using the cruise. What I meant by this
One more question i have is does it make a difference if i hook it to constant power versus switched, in kennedy's instructions it says to hook to switched unless you have remote start, that must mean it won't hurt to have it constant
is for the 12V power lead to the switch, can it be hooked to constant power or does it need to be hooked to something that is only on with the key. As long as he remembers to shut the switch off it shouldnt matter. Sorry for the long post just had to explain myself.

·
LT. Dan
6,817 Posts
delete the switch, run one wire from the ecm directly to the green white wire at the brake switch. then your done.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I think your settings need to be changed. I noticed on mine the irregular idle as did tripping when we changed our settings. The 02 has a different set of settings and the idle speeds are probably not set right. You should have a standby speed with the cruise on, a set speed with the set and a resume speed with the resume button. If the idle is causing problems it must be in the idle settings under the pto function.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts