Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well followed the instructions from both of the pages, the original and the in depth by our member here, works as advertised, I ended up useing a normal switched 12v source instead of useing the brake pedal method, since I like having switches to play with. Got a pretty neat heavy duty toggle that the tip lights up when powered.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
haha...turned it up to the resume setting 1750~1800 ish..that straight pipe is so freakin loud outside the truck...I feel sorry for my neighbors on a cold morning..LOL

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Good job on the install. WYI. I only use the 1250RPM setting to warm her up. 1700RPMs might be alittle much on a cold engine. This does not mean I am right..more like just what I do. Your neighbors might want to thank me.

What RPM do other owners use?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I usually start off by letting it idle at 950RPM and then bump it up to 1250RPM after a minute or two. I find when it's cold out like it has been lately (-18°F) I have to do it this way or it peg's the oil pressure guage. After a 5 minute warm up engine temp is starting to rise and oil pressure is backing away from the top. I only use the highest setting 1750RPM? if I need to make a quick stop to pick up something. One of the simplest and cheapest mods you could ever make!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I only use the 1250 setting also. I turn it up after about 5 minutes or so If I remember to go back out and turn it up.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Where do you guys get your high idle kit? Are there certain ones that a guy should stay away from?

My buddy has a powerstroke that does this automatically. thats the only feature I like.

Thanks

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Why is the stock idle for extended periods supposedly bad on the engine?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Something to do with washing the oil off the cylinder walls and in cold climates it is not sufficient to keep the engine warmed up.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
I can testify to the cold climate part. You can let my truck idle for 30 minutes and it will still be chilly. Only took one time to figure that out. My neighbor with the 7.3 stock idles his everyday for 15 to 30 minutes. Slow learner!

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Bronco, the high idle also gives you more oil pressure and that is also a good thing if you are going to idle for awhile. All the 'Big Rigs" have this option also...also use the C/C to make the settings. The Peterbilt I drove had auto shut down if I did not set the idle(after 5 or 10mins)....the dif with the Pet is I used the throttle to get the RPM I wanted and would set the C/C.

Anyway probably to much info...

·
Registered
463 Posts
Wickedsprint said:
Got a pretty neat heavy duty toggle that the tip lights up when powered.

What kind of switch did you get? Cost? I'm trying to find the illuminated, textured Contura rocker switches for my overhead console to replace my el-cheapo rockers I have in there now. The only place I've found them so far is an on-line company that lists them for over $20 a piece. At that price, I'll be keeping the el-cheapos! The Conturas are what are in our fire trucks and they look and work great.

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The switch is made by Calterm, part number 40291...was about 7 bucks if I recall, made VERY well. Rated for 30A. Is designed to be mounted in a .5 inch hole. This is off, it is silly bright when on, you can't miss it.

·
Registered
302 Posts

I like my switch for my High Idle. Pricey though. Has a backlight at night and blinks when it is engaged.Edited by: 3-Fan

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Fireman, el-cheapos in the over head? Are they the switches that come with the Attitude holder or something that you installed?

·
Registered
134 Posts
What is the PTO switch for? Sorry if it is a dumb question.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Tow truck...or dump truck?

·
Registered
302 Posts
The PTO switch is used in the Chassis cabs that can be equiped with a PTO. I bought the switch to make it seem OEM. I just snaps right into the space beside the airbag switch in my 2500HD EC.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
dmaxalliTech sells a kit with everything you need real reasonably priced. $10

HERE

1 - 20 of 44 Posts