Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand high idles are needed for P.T.O,s winches and other accesories, but for warming up your motor?? I was outside yesterday when I herd this hiddious noise. It sounded like a vacum cleaner on steroids. I couldn't pin point the location. I spyed a Chevy truck(gasser),Chevy Suburban,Volkswagon Jetta, a couple of other family sedans and a Ford PowerStroke. I still could not pinpoint this sinister sound. Finally a man came out of his house about 1/2 block away and hopped in the Ford powerstroke. Then the noise stopped. He ran back in the house. He and his wife left a few minutes later. Bingo, high idle. I thought all this fancy closed loop, fuel injection crap did away with high idle. I havn't herd high idle since I started my 66 Ford Bronco. I am thankful my truck came with a block heater. Just plug it in for 4 hours and presto, 160 degrees. Look down by your passenger fender frame rail clumped in with some other wires. At least that's where it was on my 03 Chevy. Can't you retro a block heater in through a freeze plug? Edited by: Bronco

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
The block heater does two things IMHO,

It allows for easier starts on the motor and you have heat quicker.

The high idle will keep the motor from getting cylinder washdown and keep more heat in the motor when idling in cold weather.

Makes the AC work a little better in the summer too.

T
NY

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
One problem with my block heater. I can't carry enough extention cord with me when I'm starting my truck when it's cold, and I'm not at home.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you adjust what RPM your high idle goes to? The truck I heard sounded like it was ready to bounce off the rev limiter. For like 15 minutes straight.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
The Factory Programmed High Idle Speeds for the 2001’s are:

Standby 850 RPM’s
Set 1250 RPM’s
Resume 1700 RPM’s

The Factory Programmed High Idle Speeds for the 2002’s and 2003’s are:

Set 1250 RPM’s
Resume 1700 RPM’s

I only use Set at 1250 RPM's, and to me that doesn't seem overly fast, and I don't ever use Resume. It sure warms up nice in winter. It also can work nice when jumping someone with a dead battery.
I don’t know if there’s any changes for the 2004’s. These High Idle Speeds are programmed in the ECM, and I believe someone with a Tech 2 can reprogram them to other speeds. www.kennedydiesel.com has good info under Tech Tips, Fast Idle Installation Instructions.

As far as that PowerStroke, maybe Ford only gave him a brick.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I belive, I could be wrong but, You are not supposed to use the block heater untill the temps reach 0 to 10 degrees out side. My service guy say's it can and has on many other Duramax's cause engine codes when used above these temps? Maybe Eric can jump in and help us with this?

As of now I have only used my block heater 1 time when it was in the low 20's one night and had no problems.

As far as the High Idle goes, I have installed it and use it when I start up in the morning. It does seem to help the truck reach running temp sooner and make heat sooner too.Edited by: PAUL3500

·
Registered
430 Posts
I've been using my block heater quite a bit. Engine starts as if it were summer, and starts to blow warm air right away. I've used mine even at 30-35 degree temps, and have had no error code problems to date.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Fords and Dodges both have a high idle that kicks in when the temps are low. On the Strokers, there is some kind of turbo exhaust bypass...this gives you a loud swishing noise. When you press the brake pedal it kicks off. On my last two Strokers this would also happen when it was pluged in all night.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Yes and No...

Off the lot there is no idle, but there is a circuit in place for one. You just need to tap into it(20g wire, switch, fuse, GM pin to tap into the computer, and extra if you want LED power light).

If you do a "high idle" surch you'll come accross some really good info and a link to do it your self. If you live were it is cold I would recommend it....it works great.

Go to the link a couple of posts above.Edited by: NoWake200

1 - 10 of 10 Posts