Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the high idle mod this weekend. I made a mistake. It was my fault but I thought a tip here might help others avoid the same fate. Step 4, of the instructions, tells you to remove the ECM cover. It says to reach between the battery and radiator hose. I was in my shop, a bit on the dark side. I could see a raised portion of the cover next to the battery. I followed the instructions and pressed very hard. Nothing. So, I pressed very hard and pulled at the same time. I had no problem seeing where the "top rearward" tab actually was when it broke! On my 01 the tab is well behind the rear edge of the battery, next to the fuse box. I had been pressing on the metal spring that holds the ECM in place. Better light might have precluded this, not sure. I don't know about the 02-04, but hope this helps folks working on the 01 in the future. Here are a couple more things to help make this "Sailor Proof (28 yr Navy vet).

Step 7 tells you to remove the small bolts in the middle of the ECM covers. These bolts have 7mm heads.

Step 8 says to release the tabs on the wire end of the connector. There are tabs on both ends of the connector which must be released. You have to press them in toward the centerline of the connector then pull them up, away from the connector. I found a pair of needle nosed pliers works quite well for this.

Step 12 has you remove the translucent plastic cover over the terminal ends of the Blue ECM connector. At each end of the cover there is a gap and white plastic is visable underneath the cover. Use a small flat blade screwdriver to press in on the white plastic to release the cover.

Steps 13 and 14, As you push the terminal into the connector you will see it start to come out from under a white tab. If you gently lift up on the end of this tab it will be easier to insert the terminal to the proper depth. The tab has a small locking tab inside which prevents the terminal from pulling loose once it has reached the proper depth.

That's it. I have no complaint with the instructions as written. I'm just throwing this stuff in for those who have never done this type of work before.

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
Nice...good job with the additional info, it's good to see another point of view and some extra instruction from experience

Ox

·
Registered
812 Posts
I deleted step 12 as Eric did a fine job of soldering the pin to the wire. I just pushed the pin through the C-71 hole til it locked into the terminal with a little help from dielectric grease.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts