Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unlike some, my high idle works as soon as I start the truck. I wait, however, until the volt meter swings up past 14. This generally takes about 90 seconds (guessing here, I haven't actually timed it). This really isn't a problem for me now cuz the weather is cooperating. Temps in the morning are around 20 above so I don't mind standing around outside- no remote start yet. Besides, I prefer to let it run at the reg idle speed for a while before kicking it up. But it's no fun when it gets cold. It seems to me it would be fairly simple to put in a timer. Start the truck, go back into the house, and 2 minutes later it would automatically jump up to the high idle. I haven't messed with electronics in many years so I was wondering if anyone has done this yet? If so, would you please share? If not, I will eventually be sharing a parts list and pics. Getting lazy in my old age, hoping someone can save me a bit of time.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Oldman,

I never really thought about that, but you have a good idea. I have worked a little with vehicle electronics, and am sure there is a way to make such a time. I will do some searches and see what I can come up with. There has to be something simple that will work for that.

~BIGMoe

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If this was 25 years ago I could whip one out with parts laying around the house. I built a digital dash a couple of years before they started coming out stock. But it's been too many years. A 555 timer with a simple r/c circuit? That would trip a relay to provide power to the cruise control "Set" wire. Nothing to it, I just need someone to refresh my memory on the timers. The package probably shows a schematic. I think I'll run down to Radio Shack today and take a look. Edited by: Oldman

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Oldman,

If you’re thinking installing a Remote Starter, you should consider wiring your Fast Idle
through the Remote Starter, using an Aux output. You can start-up the truck with the remote, wait a few minutes, and then initiate Fast Idle with the Aux Output pushbutton. I think this would be better than a timer, (but more expensive).
Max Power, who sells Astroflex Remote Starters, has posted many times about this. He claims if your Fast Idle is wired through your Stop Lamp Switch, (DK GRN/WHT Wire), this feature is easy to wire. See link below if interested.

http://dieselplace.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3068&KW=Max+Power+remote+start

There are other things I want to do to my truck, before I’d have the money to spend on a Remote Starter, but it is in the back of my mind. If I buy one, Max Power is most likely the Guy I’d buy it from. He’s a Great supporter of this site.

CC: Max Power

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've read the post on the remote starter Modified. I may put one in someday, but not any time soon. Even if I do, I'll still keep the timer on board. With the timer I won't have to worry about hitting the Aux button. My old mind would forget about that as often as not!!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So much for Radio Shack and their cheap components. They have 555 and 556 timers but their operating temp range only goes down to zero. They would probably work but when it hits 30 or 40 below I want to know it will work. I looked at their flip flops and comparators, same lousy operating range. My wife is flying in from outside next weekend. I have to go into town to pick her up. I'll go in early and check the one decent electronics store we have.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Oldman,

I’ve been looking a little, for a timer (time delay to open NC contacts), to parallel across an Oil Pressure Switch, which powers my Fuel Lift Pump.
So far, I’ve found some Timer Chips you can buy. Time Delay ON, Time Delay Off, single contact, single pole double through, and more.
Most of these compact chips are good for one or two amps, enough to drive small current loads. These are also sealed, to keep out moisture and dirt. These small chips seem to cost around $30 to $40. Most have operating temperature range around –13 Deg F to 140 Deg F, which may be enough.
I would assume you want a NO contact, that close after a time delay.
As far as the Fast Idle, I believe you only need a 12V pulse to initiate, and not 12V maintained. I’m not sure if it matters.
Try links below for manufacturers info:

http://www.amperite.com/bseries.htm#Solving
http://www.amperite.com/cseries.htm#Solving

They also make larger Time Delay Relays. These will consume more room, cost $60 to $100, but can handle 10 to 15 amps, if that’s what you need. See link below:

http://www.amperite.com/c10.htm#Solving
http://www.amperite.com/dc10seri.htm#Solving<

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the links Modified. I have not made it into Anchorage yet to check the parts stores. -13 would probably work. Most builders are pretty conservative in their ratings. But I hope to find something good down to at least -40. My truck could see -70 so the colder the rating the better.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Wow

Being able to tie the fuel pump to the oil pressure is a brilliant idea. You could also tie is to coolant over temperature or any perameter that threatens the engine/tranny.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
problemchild said:
Wow

Being able to tie the fuel pump to the oil pressure is a brilliant idea. You could also tie is to coolant over temperature or any perameter that threatens the engine/tranny.

Not hard to do, and it's been around for many many years now. The fuel pump cut off is required in mnay racing applications.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I agree the -40 Deg F. would be nicer. Have to keep looking, maybe find another Manufacturer. The Internet is nice, cause you can order anything. I have a hard time finding these modification necessities too.

The other rating that's on the close side, is the operating voltage. Most of these 12V Amperites are rated to operate at 10 to 14 VDC. With our electrical systems charging at 14.5 to 15 VDC, (using OEM gauge, never check with a calibrated DVM), we're over the rating, which may be OK.

Maybe we could install a dropping resistor in series with the timer to drop a volt or two, but then we may fall below the 10V minimum voltage requirement when the system voltage is low, on cold morning start-ups, before the charging system kicks in. That really wouldn't hurt anything either, because the NC contacts will still work as needed, only for a longer time than programmed.

I'll look more when time permits.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rather than a resistor we could throw in a lil 12V regulator. That would keep the high voltage down without taking it too low at start up. Right now I have another concern. I was talking to another D-Max owner here and he told me his voltage jumps up within approx 15 seconds even when teh temp is down at -20 and colder. Mine, at 20 above, takes 60 to 90 seconds. Something's not quite right here. I need to check batteries/charging system.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
My voltage jumps up in about 15-20 seconds.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anyone have any idea on what my problem might be? Old batteries?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts