Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have an '84 GMC 6.2l diesel that is a really great/tough truck.... but... the high idle wires are disconnected from the switch (just a toggle switch in the lower dash) I can trace the wire from the solenoid through the firewall to the switch, but no idea what the other terminal on the switch should go to... a power source? I am scared to go ahead with trial and error as I don't know what the consequences could be. Anyone know how to wire this back up as it is getting a mighty cold up here in Alberta, Canada. brrrrrr!

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
The fast idle solenoid is energized with 12V and helps the engine to warm up. You can put a 12V source on the other terminal without a problem.

Daan

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kuultermaster said:
The fast idle solenoid is energized with 12V and helps the engine to warm up. You can put a 12V source on the other terminal without a problem.

Daan

Thank you SOOOOOOoooooo much! I'm gonna get right on it after work today. Woohoo...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kuultermaster said:

Daan

Well, I did it and although it doesn't engage the solenoid, if I put the switch to "on", and then push the plunger in, it will stay there and then release when I switch it "off", do I need to replace the solenoid?

·
Registered
421 Posts
That is completly normal. The solenoid will hold the high idle but does not have enough push to put it on. You mus press down on the accelerator as you turn on the switch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
With my engine the solenoid is not strong enough to push the throttle lever back on it's own, so when you push the pedal a bit the plunger comes out and then keeps the throttle lever back at about 800-900 rpm. When the plunger doesn't come out at all on its own the solenoid could be dirty on the inside. If you don't want to disassemble the solenoid you could try moving the plunger up and down several times, maybe it will go lighter than. Or you can take it apart, clean it, and check the copper wire inside the solenoid.

Good luck!

Daan

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much Daan, I sprayed it down with some brakkleen and worked it back and forth several times, it seems to be working better, I'll have to take it apart sometime and look it over; I bet it is getting cold in the Netherlands too! I'm learning so much from you!
Stay warm.

·
Registered
44 Posts
is there a way for me to hook up fast idle of an 82 6.2 lt? If so, what do i have to do, or where can i get it from?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
6.2 Blazer said:
is there a way for me to hook up fast idle of an 82 6.2 lt? If so, what do i have to do, or where can i get it from?

I'm not sure who sells them, but I know the one on my '84 was bought post-dealer and was pretty straight forward, try Napa or one of your local truck shops. I used an illuminated switch on mine so I can see the damn thing in the morning darkness when I'm usually warming it up.

Best of luck

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks Knight, I'll go check it out

·
Registered
575 Posts
I know this, don't do to the dealer for the hight idle solenoid, i tryed on the week-end there $165 bucks (canadian) i mean it a solenoid!!!!

Todd

·
Registered
44 Posts
Alright, i went and called a couple of places today, and most of them didnt even know what i was talking about. What is the actual hardware called. Is it just a " high idle solenoid" or is it called something else? What all do i have to have to get it working? Sorry to bother you so much about this, but i'm not exactly sure how it works. Thanks for you time

·
Registered
15 Posts
When I get home from work I can post the GM part number for the part for the 85 truck. I assume it would be the same unit. My GM dealer quoted $128 for it but my NAPA dealer ran the part number and said he could get it for $85 but if you search the web for sites that sell orig. GM parts and have that number you will get a price of $65 +/-. That circut also activates the cold advance.If you hard wire it I assume you should also include the cold advance solenoid since they are supposed to work together and are on the same wire from the factory.Edited by: gamfa

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
6.2 Blazer said:
Alright, i went and called a couple of places today, and most of them didnt even know what i was talking about. What is the actual hardware called. Is it just a " high idle solenoid" or is it called something else? What all do i have to have to get it working? Sorry to bother you so much about this, but i'm not exactly sure how it works. Thanks for you time

Sorry, I don't know more about getting one, mine came with the truck, all I had to do was lubricate and wire it, listen to Gamfa, he seems to know more than I. Good posting with ya.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for everything guys. Gamfa, if you could, just let me know that part number. I'm really needing this high idle and all. Thank you guys.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The part number is "14066255", the military manuals call the part "Relay,Electromagnet".

Are you sure the relay is bad or possibly the temp. that operates those solenoids is bad. Make up a jumper wire with a female spade connector on one end and strip off about 1/4" of bare wire on the other end and make sure it's long enough to reach the positive terminal on your battery. Remove the harness conn. from the solenoid and hook the jumper wire to it. With one hand,push open the fuel lever and then put the bare end to the battery and see if the plunger extends. If it does then release the fuel lever with the power still to the solenoid and see if it stays in the extend position. If it does. then remove the power and blip the fuel and see if it goes back. If it does well here then it might be the switch. The switch is in the rear or the right head below the valve covers. With the engine cold. it should be closed and show no resistance. if it isn't closed, the switch is bad. The switch opens at about 120 degs. I believe.Edited by: gamfa

·
Registered
44 Posts
If the solenoid isnt something that came factory on the truck, do you know how i would go about hooking it up?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
6.2 Blazer said:
If the solenoid isnt something that came factory on the truck, do you know how i would go about hooking it up?

The ones that I have seen all have like a bracket and connect to the throttle body via a flange thing... the solenoid just pulls and holds on the throttle linkage. You might be able to scavenge an entire setup from the boneyard.

·
Registered
15 Posts
On my 82 engine and on the one I gave you the part number for, the mounting bracket is part of the solenoid unit. It mounts with two screws to the throttle bracket. On the throttle lever there should be a flat surface faceing the front of the truck about 1" wide by 1 1/2 tall. That is the surface the solenlid activates on.. You might see a worn spot on the front face of it. Just to the front of that surface approx.1 1/2" you will see an angle bracket a little below that comes up from a mounting bolt on the water pump I believe.. There will be a screw hole in the front of it and one on the drivers side of it. That's where it mounts.

If you mean how to wire it, I can probably walk you through it.Edited by: gamfa

1 - 19 of 19 Posts