Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished installing my high idle connecting up to the green\white wire. I had no problems following the instructions in the Do it your self section. The truck starts up fine, but the high idle doesn't appear to be working. I have a 2003. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
You have to push set on your cruise control twice to set it into the 1250 rpm high idle. You push resume to get the 1750 idle, I don't use that one but I suspect you have to push it twice as well. If neither of these work with your tranny in park, foot off the brake, I would recheck your connection to the brake switch making sure there is 12v present with engine running, tranny in park. If you have 12v there then recheck the ecm connection making sure you're on the right pin location and that the connection is good. the wire should be soldered to the pin as well. Mines an 03 as well and this works good on it. Edited by: army

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
If the high idle is not working the circuit might not be getting power.

1. If you used a inline fuse check it....the fuse might be bad out of the box....also check the fuse housing connections. I know it sounds dumb but you never know.

2. Check the splice on the green/white wire...make sure you have a good connection.

If they do not fix the problem....

3.Check the ECM connection by taking everything apart like you did for the install....check that the pin is all the way through(use the pin in 70 as a guage) if it is all the way through check the pin and wire crimp by VERY carefully pushing the pin out, it might have come loose when you were pushing it through on the inital install.

Last if eveything looks good, then you might need a ECM update for the high idle.

If that does not work I am just as lost as you.

Good luck

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I have checked the pin in the ECM twice it looks good I soldered both ends. It is driving me crazy I even had a bad thought about selling it!!! Why does this have to happen to me??

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Soldered on both ends? Doesn't make sense. Explain what you mean.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What I mean is that I soldered the pin to the 18 guage wire and soldered the 18 guage wire on the green and white wire on my brake.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I think I know what you mean now. Soldered at the brake switch and soldered at the pin.

Are you 100% sure the pin is in place? It is a little tricky as you have to remove the clear cover to allow it to push into place.

Do you have the allison Automatic?

Did you test power at the green/white wire?

Are you pushing set twice?

·
Registered
706 Posts
I just installed my high idle today....I had the same problem.

all wired up, started truck, let idle til voltage came up to normal, hit set on the CC and nothing happend.......well I was not a happy camper

Reviewed my wiring, had to stand on my head to double check everything, had already reassembled ECM/TCM and covers and was not looking forward to tearing it all apart again. So I did what every member of my generation does when something doesn't work.........I started hitting buttons

Well somehow I missed the idea that the cruise control has to be "on" for the "set" button to do anything.
Cruise on, idled up to 850 or whatever, hit set bumped up to 1250 and so on.......works great!

the devil is in the details!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I feel like a moron. I got it working today,the green and white wire was o.k .I put to much solder on the pin on the ECM end and it was not pushed all the way. It looked like it was, but it wasn't. Well I guess I wont sell it now
, I would like to thank all the guys who helped me out.

Thanks!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts