Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to do the high idle switch install. I hate adding new switches inside the cab.....I'm a big fan of the "stock look". My truck has the snow plow prep package and there's a nice round button by the "air bag on/off" switch for installing a roof plow light. My question is, think I can use that button for the idle switch?

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
If the switch is On Off yes ...Or Just splice the wire that you run from the pcm to the Dark green/white wire on the brake switch....

Mac

·
Registered
939 Posts
That is exactly what I did. I wired my high idle to the Dark Green/White Wire pin F on the stop light switch mounted on the brake pedal. Has worked like a charm everytime I show it off. Will be nice to use once it starts getting cooler around here... no switches or buttons need to be added...

Bob

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So when you tap the brake pedal it turns the high idle off??

Thats slick!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
10-4 on the brake pedal.

I wired it up the same as mentioned with the wire from the brake. I felt the two higher idle speeds were too high for my liking, so I asked my dealer to drop them down a bit using the Tech2. Works much better now, IMO.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I hooked mine up today as well. I did the same as above in regards to the brake pedal. Works like a charm. I also hooked mine up to my remote starter so that I can push the aux button on my transmitter and it will idle up. The real nice thing is that if I push it again it goes back to regular idle. I am very impressed.

·
Registered
306 Posts
^

|_____Is THAT Kermit taking out his frustrations?

Sure gives a NEW meaning to 'stuffed' animal..Edited by: Mic_

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Edited by: Max Power

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Cute funny but,
Hey that kinda takes away from some very good info on high idle install,all might not enjoy ... Specially when people come and search for info ...
No offense ....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you hook it up to the brake pedal way......does this mean that high idle is always on everytime you start the truck?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
No, you have to activate it either by the Set or Resume cruise control commands.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Can someone give us a step by step for "High Idle"? Without wiring in an external switch can it be activated/deactivated via cruise control switches?

Where/how is it wired into the PCM?

Quickly glanced through the Duramax Diesel Supplement manual and did not find it. I have not read it cover to cover yet.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pick,

Here's the directions. http://www.kennedydiesel.com/docs/HIGH%20IDLE%20INSTALL%20FINAL.htm

I still haven't figured it all out yet, but there's lots of great advice from people here. I've ordered the parts and am looking to do it next week sometime.

I still haven't decided which way to go....switch or brake pedal.

My goal is to be able to turn on high idle when I shut the truck off at night, so that I can use my remote start in the morning without having to run outside and turn high idle on.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
jgriffin187 said:
My goal is to be able to turn on high idle when I shut the truck off at night, so that I can use my remote start in the morning without having to run outside and turn high idle on.

Thats is a real nice idea, but it won't work. It won't automatically go on high idle after you shut it off on high idle. You will need to go outside and press the set button. You could do what I did and wire an aux output of your remote start to activate a relay that provides power on the set circuit of the cruise control button. Then you would be able to turn the high idle on and off with a push of the aux button on your remote start. This is about your only option.

You might as well wire it to the brake switch as opposed to a new toggle switch because there is no advantage to the toggle switch. It will shut off if you hit the brake or press set again on the cruise.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"You will need to go outside and press the set button."

Damn, thats what I was afraid of. I might take the same route you did with the remote start. My remote start is getting installed this weekend and I'll have to see if I have an Aux button....if I do I may ask you (Max Power) some more questions about "activate a relay that provides power on the set circuit of the cruise control button" because that doesn't sound fun if you don't do your homework first.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
302 Posts
I used the PTO switch found on Chassis cabs to wire in my PTO switch for the "factory" look." Take a look here at mine:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/61321434/65655297NlCluF

Disregard the hole above the switch and airbag switch. That's Where I mounted my CB. Works just like a SPST switch, but ALOT more expensive.Edited by: 3-Fan

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
jgriffin187 said:
"You will need to go outside and press the set button."

Damn, thats what I was afraid of. I might take the same route you did with the remote start. My remote start is getting installed this weekend and I'll have to see if I have an Aux button....if I do I may ask you (Max Power) some more questions about "activate a relay that provides power on the set circuit of the cruise control button" because that doesn't sound fun if you don't do your homework first.

Thanks again!

Actually it is very easy. You could ask the installer of the remote start to hook up an auxilary channel of the remote start to provide a positive pulse to the cruise control set wire (blue) when you push it. If you printed this out for him he should understand. Most remote start installers should be capable. If they are not capable then I wouldn't get my remote start installed there. A relay costs less the $10 and shouldn't take more then 10 minutes too hook up. Then you will be all ready for when you install the high idle. I don't know where you are in US but I would do it for you for nothing if you were close enough to me to make it practical. I am in Manitoba, Canada.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
3-Fan said:
I used the PTO switch found on Chassis cabs to wire in my PTO switch for the "factory" look." Take a look here at mine:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/61321434/65655297NlCluF

Disregard the hole above the switch and airbag switch. That's Where I mounted my CB. Works just like a SPST switch, but ALOT more expensive.

Do you happen to have the part # for that?

On second thought that won't be much good to me. I have an '03 and there is nothing but a hole there
Edited by: Max Power

·
Registered
369 Posts
Max power and others with remote start, what brand remote start are you using, i want to add one on my truck and was wondering which ones seem to work/last the best last thing i want is electrical trouble down the road from a inferior product.. And about how much $$ are we talking for these systems in US$$. Also how can you tell who the good remote installers really are, when you go into these places they all tell you they can walk on water, but it looks like they got a bunch of 18 year olds out there doing the work in the shop after school, granted there are a lot of young guys who know there stuff but I'm not real thrilled to let anyone go cutting wires in my $42k truck

ALso i like the high idle switch off the remote start makes good sense, I'm very handy with tools and working on engines (i build my own motors for my racebikes) but am not over thrilled with playing with wiring and electricity, how hard is the high idle install for "average joe" who is not an electrical guru??

Thanks!

Edited by: gsxr1216

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Max Power,

Thanks for the info and offer to help install. (darn, I'm in Michigan).

What does the relay do...and do I need any specifications when I go get one?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts