Diesel Place banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hey guys

My high idle has to be pushed twice before it idles high, for the past few weeks since the install, I only had to push it once? any ideas??

·
Registered
233 Posts
MICKD

I find with mine (2001) I have to wait for the amp meter to return to 14+V to activate the higher RPM levels. Due to the cold weather lately this can sometimes take 1-2 minutes for the intake heater to shut off and lessen the draw to the batteries. It doesn't matter how many times I press the button to rev up the RPM's nothing happens until the amp draw returns to normal. The only level available to me when the truck is cold is the 950RPM (SET). Not sure if this is the same for 03's, but give it a try.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks TC Dmax

I'll check it out in the Morning..

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
What RPM does the high idle set up run the motor at?

·
Registered
233 Posts
srode said:
What RPM does the high idle set up run the motor at?

Depends on the year of the truck. A 2001 model will have 3 settings (950RPM, 1250RPM, 1750RPM). I think the 03's and 04's have 2 settings.(1250 RPM and 1750RPM ), and apparently variations can be programmed with a Tech2 if you want something different. ie lower or higher RPM's
Edited by: TC Dmax

·
Registered
192 Posts
TC Dmax said:
srode said:
, and apparently variations can be programmed with a Tech2 if you want something different. ie lower or higher RPM's

Took my truck to the dealer today and asked if they could change the high idle 'low' setting for me. Mine only has the 1250 and the 1750on it. Would like about 1000 or so as I think the 1250 is way too fast.
Anyway, they had never even heard of the high idle and said there was no way to reprogram with the Tech2.

Do I need to find a different dealer?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Dutch

I would certainly get a second opinion on that. For reference have a look at Kennedy's Tech Tips Item #4. I did not have to have my idle speeds adjusted as I have an 01 but agree with you that 1250 RPM(especially when cold) is a bit too fast to start with. On mine I can't increase the RPM's>950 anyway until the AMP guage returns to ~14V.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If anyone is interested in hooking their high idle up to their remote starter, I just completed this today. I actually set up the low idle & high idle to my remote starter so I can turn either setting on & off from anywhere. One to the remote starter trunk feature & one to the AUX feature. These need to be hooked up each using a 5 pin relay & wired direct to the cruise control wires.

My cruise control has 4 tiny wires, pink, grey, black & blue under the steering column. The black wire was for the low (1200rpm) idle & the blue wire was for the high (1750rpm) idle.

If anyone is interested, you would require a 5 pin relay for each remote starter connection for this project. The relay will need a terminal 30, 85, 86, 87 & 87A.

The terminal 30 & 86 connect to a +12v power source. Terminal 87 gets hooked to either cruise control wire. Terminal 85 gets hooked up to the trunk or AUX remote starter wire that pulses "-" when pressed. Terminal 87A is not used & is left empty.

Cool feature for us lazy folk who wish to warm their truck up faster while still in bed.

Thanks to Max Power for all his help with this Mod.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I finally tried to put the High Idle on my Duramax. We must of done something wrong. We followed the direction available on Kennedy's Website. For some reason it will not work. We have double checked, and just can't figure what we did wrong. Anyone have any suggestions? The instructions are straight forward and easy to understand.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I installed the high idle EXACTLY as per the instructions. Used a switch and grabbed power from doorjamb fuse panel. I used an inline 3A fuse to protect the switch and every time I turn the switch "on" it blows the fuse? Do I have a short on the termination block on the ECU? The wire is cleanly routed in OEM tubing. I went thru the main grommet into the cab. Any Ideas? Thanks in advance.

Daryl

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
Make sure you put in in the correct spot in the ECU.

·
Registered
149 Posts
disconnect it from the ecu-try again - still blows fuse? If yes check for wire or switch terminals shorted to ground. If no you're on the wrong pin location on the computor. Don't reapply power untill you're absolutly sure you're on the proper connector in the right pin location.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hooked mine up today and all three settings work just as soon as I start the truck. I do not have to wait for the voltmeter to read 14+.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Finally got mine working!!!! It is along story, don't have time to tell all the steps. We set the 2 settings one at 1250 rpm's and the other to 1650 rpm's. We felt like a couple of dummies. It sure is going to be nice to have high idle on a cold morning. Below is a picture of how I put my Switch.

Edited by: BIGMoe

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Oldman said:
Hooked mine up today and all three settings work just as soon as I start the truck. I do not have to wait for the voltmeter to read 14+.
I see you're posting ok. Everything alright now?

hoot

·
Registered
331 Posts
So a switch isnt necessary if you run it to the brake pedal?? I hope to hook mine up this weekend, but I want to make sure I know what iam doing first!

·
Registered
509 Posts
hoot said:

hoot

No. I misworded my lil rant. I can reply in here but can not post a new topic. I put the info in a new topic under the engine forum as I didn't want it to get lost at the end of this thread.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Oldman said:
hoot said:

hoot

No. I misworded my lil rant. I can reply in here but can not post a new topic. I put the info in a new topic under the engine forum as I didn't want it to get lost at the end of this thread.
Only mods can post new topics in DYI. It's like that so we can keep it from getting junked up.

·
Registered
509 Posts
hoot said:
Only mods can post new topics in DYI. It's like that so we can keep it from getting junked up.

So you have to search all the other forums and move topics into here if they are DIY? Why not open this area to everyone and just move topics out if needed. Seems like that would be less work/easier on your part.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I added the wire last evening for fast idle on my 02 D/A. Everything went exacty as the directions said they would. My compliments to the chef for a fine article!

I have 3 more terminals if anyone needs one.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts