Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After selling the ole powerstroke, the one thing I really missed was the APCM, Ford's high idle controler. So I've been putting off messing with the Chevy cause me and wires sometimes have arguements that I usually lose.

Using John Kennedy's excellent install instructions, I decided to tackle the task. About the only thing I could add to John's instructions is more pictures sure would be nice, after all a picture is worth a thousand words.

I've taken several pic that might help some of you contemplating the task. I kept John's instructions at my side during the install, so I wont repeat everything he has taken the time to write.

Picture of TCM removed with harness disconnected...

ECM with cover removed

The battery junction box, or whatever it's called kept getting in my way, so I move it to the front of the power steering pump.

ECM with C1 and C2 removed

ECM removed

Back plastic cover removed from the back of C1, this took a bit of fanagling to get off.

C71 identified on the back of the C1 connector

Translucent plastic cover removed from the terminal end of C1

I used the smallest drill bit I could find to pierce the yellow insulation on the wire side of C1

Terminal preped and pushed through the yellow insulation till the terminal was even with the other terminals

Everything was then put back together. I ran the wire to the brake switch using the green and white wire. I must say I was rather surprized to find that the silly thing worked
. Thanks to John Kennedy's excellent instruction and to this and other sites for a wealth of information. If anyone has any pics to add, please do.

Mike T.

PS, can you believe I worked in this pigs sty? Yeah, I know I need to clean my garage.

The kitty cat on top of the cabinet is a figment of your imagination
Edited by: Station10fd

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Station10fd,

Way to go! I wished I had taken pictures when I did mine. Great addition to the site!

hoot

On edit......

The fellow to thank for the article on the Kennedy site is MITTIE M. DRAGOSLJVICH (mdrag from TDP) for putting it all together. (His name is at the top of the article).

The ArticleEdited by: hoot

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hoot said:
Station10fd,

The fellow to thank for the article on the Kennedy site is MITTIE M. DRAGOSLJVICH (mdrag from TDP) for putting it all together. (His name is at the top of the article).

Oh yeah, it does say that on top of the instructions
. Thanks for correcting my oversite.

Mike T.Edited by: Station10fd

·
Registered
408 Posts
Station10fd,

i did every thing you did,( nice pics by the way,) but had trouble with the idle going up and down, Drove me nuts, TOOK WIRE OFF BRAKE WIRE IDLE WHEN TO NORMAL, HAD TO ADD SWITCH. Do not know why my truck is different

JUST LETTING YOU MY TROUBLE, ANY BODY ELSE HAVE THIS TROUBLE?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike, I think your the first person I've seen where the green and white wire did not work properly with the high idle. I assume your truck is an automatic? Maybe some of the idle gurus will speak up. The only thing that is sometimes quirky with mine is I have to push the cruise button twice to get it to idle up.

Mike T.Edited by: Station10fd

·
Registered
408 Posts
yes automatic and green & white wire checked and ckeck again did not work no biggie so i have a switch

·
Registered
328 Posts
Just wondered if any one can tell me or show me with a pic where the green and white wire to the brake is located.

Thanks

·
Registered
149 Posts
Paul- the green white wire is on the brake light switch above the brake pedal. If you follow the brake lever up you will see the white switch that kinda moves when you depress the brake pedal. If I remember right the green white is the last wire at the end of the row of wires coming out of the switch.Edited by: army

·
Registered
328 Posts
Thanks Army

When I wire it this way, and I touch the brake pedal, Does this send 12 volts out? And if so when I let off the brake pedal will it engage again? This is the problem I am having now. I dont want to put in a switch if I dont have to.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Good question,im going to attempt the high idle install on my truck this afternoon and would like to do it as described above without the switch.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Could someone tell me what the difference is between the two different part numbers listed for the terminal connectors required for the high idle install.(GM12084913 & GM12084912) Will I have to order both types or can you tell the difference by looking at them? I have a 2001 Chev 2500HD D/A. I'm hoping to hook up a high idle setup through the brake light switch if this can be done with a 2001. Any additional parts required for this type of install?

Thanks in advance!!!

Happy Holidays

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
When the shift selector is taken out of park, high idle automatically disengages.

·
Registered
149 Posts
TcdmX- ON THE PART NUMBERS 12084913 IS A PACK OF 5 AND 12084912 IS A PACK OF 10. SUPPOSEDLY THEY ARE THE SAME PIN.

PAUL- THE GREEN WHITE WIRE HAS 12VOLTS ON IT WHEN IN PARK UNTILL YOU STEP ON THE BRAKE PEDAL. THIS CAUSES THE IDLE TO DROP AND IT WON'T COME BACK ON UNTILL YOU PUSH YOU'RE SET OR RESUME BUTTON AGAIN, AT LEAST THAT'S THE WAY IT WORKS ON MINE . MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL!!Edited by: army

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
You have to press the C/C twice the first time you use it after a start...then after that it will work after pressing it once.

I did not remove both plugs...I really do not think you need to, also I did not have a torque wrench that small at the time...I used the distance of the plug that the factory put on as a guage where to stop with the one I removed. Also one less thing to go wrong.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Happy New Year all.

I wired my high idle today as per the directions from JK and the pics here, which were a great help..Everything works great
Thanks guys.

Also, I rerouted my block heater plug to come out by the license plate bracket and tie wrapped it to the bracket so I don't have to lift the hood everytime I plug or unplug the cord. Very easy to do 10 mins. I removed the plastic hold-down clips and pulled the inner skirt down, took the plug wire out of the harness and tie wrapped it to the frame and out the bumper hole.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Can you guys tell what function you use the high idle for?It sounds cool I just dont know what to do with it other then warming the truck up quicker.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Heathen

Warming up the truck is what most guys use it for. The temps get down in the teens or single digit during the winter.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Plus in the middle of the hot summer, at a rest stop or where ever, idle her up and be amazed at how cool the air conditioner stays for the pup.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts