Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have run into a big problem with the high idle install. I cannot get the connector apart to install the new terminal. Reading the directions its says the bolts that hold the ECM connectors need to be removed, HOW DO I GET THAT STUPID CLIP OFF THAT HOLDS THEM ON!!!!!!!! i have the terminals off the ECM from unscrewing the bolts but the bolt is clipped to the ecm connector, hence i cannot get the grey cover off to insert the new terminal. Also where are the tabs to release the cover from over the back off the conenctor?? See post number two for the pic of teh clip thats killing me....

Edited by: gsxr1216

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
pic of the clip that holding the bolt in

·
Registered
149 Posts
GSXR- do you see the little slashes on the plastic sides at both ends of the plastic cover- the one end is right by your index finger in the first picture- just squease the plasic cover with a pair of pliars and it should come off with a little fartin around. The bolt stays with the connector. Good luck!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Further - don't try to get that bolt out of that connector - there is no need to! After you have the grey cover off you take the blue cover off and it is just held on by a couple of plastic tabs. Then you are ready to insert the pin into the 71 terminal and reassemble everything. Just did mine last night, works great.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GOT IT, man you really need to squezze them clips hard to get them loose, i did not want to squeze that hard first time since i was not positive that was the right way. Thanks for the info, got it apart, now i need more light so i can see the rest to finish it!!!!
!!! Edited by: gsxr1216

·
Registered
941 Posts
gsxr-

One other thing...make sure you put the grey cover back on the correct way. Other wise the knobs (those 3 half round things sticking out) on the side of the clip will hit the other connector and you won't be able to get the connector to seat in the ECM straight.

Bob

·
Registered
149 Posts
GSXR- Hope all went well, by now you should have everything done and working, let us know if you need more info. Glen

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, got it all done, finished this morning as it got dark last night and my garage is full of other junk!!!! once i got the grey piece off the connector it was like a 15 minute job to do all the other work and put it back together, i took pics of the process if anyone is intersted in seeing what these connectors and other parts really look like. High idle Works like a champ, at first i did not think it worked as i hit the cruise and it did not come on, took like 5 sec, after that first time it clicks on within 1-2 sec after hitting the button. My truck however only has one high idle position, that being about 1200-1300rpm when you hit the button again it goes back to normal idle, i guess thats high enough RPM anyway I'm not going to bother getting it tech II'd so i can get the other speeds.

FWIW you can use either of the first 2 wires in the black connectors that face the front of the truck on the brake pedal switch, they are both 12V+ till the brake pedal is hit then they go dead. I checked both with a multi meter as i could not find a green/white wire on my brake connector (being color blind does not help either..) so i checked them and they both did the same thing.

Also, if you have the Bose 6 disk in dash cd player you may want to remove ALL the disks before killing the batteries, mine made a hellacious noise once power was put back to the truck,sounded like it had no idea what to do with the disks in the changer,it was girnding and making lots of electric motor noises, hopefully it did not damage anything in it, time will tell.

·
Registered
941 Posts
You should get ~1200 hitting the set button, then ~1800 by using the Res/Acel. Does the Res/Acel (actually the + on our GMC's) not give you 1800??

Bob

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i thought the set button would cycle it to the next speed, never tried the set/resume, probably works, i was just happy that it reved up, i had other stuff i had to do so i never looked back at the instructions to see how the other speeds were accessed. I'll try it later and let you know, probably works??

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
4x4, yes you were right i do have the other speeds, just need to hit the right buttons!!! so i have 1200 and 1800, works great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts