Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching for information on the High Idle Installation.

I have a 2003 LS D/A with c.c. and would like to use the brake to switch it off.

I read about a lot of guys doing this in a matter of an hour or less and seem to be successfull.

I am very comfortable with A/C electricty but electronics and D/C baffle me.

I am looking for SIMPLE instructions (STEP by STEP) with pictures.

This is my go to work truck and dont need it down.

Could you Help?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Paul3500

I would be happy to stop by and provide advise. Mine went real smooth and works great. I live north of BG probably about 15 miles away from you. Use the PM and contact me and I can give you my cell phone no. I may have some extra parts too, all what you will need to do the job.

Sincerely Engineer Bill

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your responces

Max Power, I cant seem to open the pic on that web site. All I see is a box with a red x in it?

EngineerBill, GREAT!
I may take you up on it soon.

I am working 12 hr. days right now but I really need to get this done soon.

I will be in touch with you.

It sure is nice to have a place to go to find help

Thanks

·
Registered
276 Posts
I've read where some people are bypassing the switch and doing this: "splice the wire that you run from the pcm to the dark green/white wire on the brake switch", thus eliminating the "physical" switch.

I also got this from Kennedy's page:
13) Stepping on the brake pedal, clutch pedal, or shifting into gear will turn off the high idle. If the brake pedal or clutch pedal is released, the high idle speed will resume.

I understand that when you hit the brake, the high idle goes off. BUT, what happens when you take your foot off of the brake? Does the high idle come back on? Is the only way to turn it off to physically turn off your cruise? It also says that putting it in gear will turn it off, but then it goes on to say that NOT turning it off will result in missing at 2200 RPM's. Why wouldn't it go off as soon as it's put in gear?

I'm thinking about getting this kit, and I would like to know how it works with the brake switch before I splice into it.

cadman_ks

·
Registered
91 Posts
CADman_ks

By using the dark green/white wire when you apply the brake pedal, this breaks the +12v supply to the high idle therefore shutting off the high idle. It will not resume or return to high idle until you hit the set button twice and or hit the resume. This wire only has +12v when the shift lever is in park position, and the brake is not applied. So when you apply the brake to put into a gear this immediately disconnects the power supply for high idle. It has no effect on preformance while driving. Do not worry, it works absolutely great.

Engineer Bill

·
Registered
276 Posts
EngineerBill said:
.... So when you apply the brake to put into a gear this immediately disconnects the power supply for high idle. It has no effect on preformance while driving. Do not worry, it works absolutely great.

Bill, I suspected that was the case. I just wanted to make sure that it didn't cause some unwanted problems like you have to turn off the cruise everytime that you want it off, because I leave my cruise turned "ON" all the time.

Now I need to get a pin for the connector...

cadman_ksEdited by: CADman_ks

·
Registered
168 Posts
Our squads and transit busses are ran through the E-brake switch. Set E-brake, fast idle on. Release E-brake, fast idle off. This is the way I would do mine. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
04 dmax,

what do you tap into to use the e brake ? similar setup to the brake wire ? explain

ski

·
Registered
168 Posts
Theres a switch that turns the dash brake light on when the E-brake is applied. Im not sure if its a - or + feed switch (most are -) If it is + use same procedure as above, if it is - you will have to power it with a relay and trip the relay using the E-brake switch.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Want to know if this will work on a 2002 also?

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
dutch yes

the e brake provide a ground when the brake is pushed. You woudl need a relay to make this work. Either that or use the alternative method for fast idle that I posted a week or so back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts