Diesel Place banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 as shown in signature. I tried to install the high idle kit. Every thing went good hooked up everything but it didn't work. It was the BD one from summit racing for twenty bucks. It said in the instructions there a re like four reason it may not work. But i dont know what to do now.:help:

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
Try pressing set twice and leaving it for a minute or two. I've found sometimes they take a little while to activate for the first time. No idea why.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont have the controls on the steering wheel if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I've never installed the BD specific kit, but do you have to insert a pin into the ECM?

If so, make sure it's making good contact--that's a common reason for high idles not working.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Yeah, it was a pain to get the pin to seat. I had to cut back some insulation so it would. It shouldn't matter if you have the steering wheel controls. The set is for the cruise control. Maybe if you post more specifics on the the kit (since most people got theirs from kennedy diesel or eric merchant) it might be easier to give some help. All I can say is check your connections and make sure they are right and that they are good connections.

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
you just need to turn the switch on, trun the cruise on and press set twice on the cruise lever.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alright ill try all this tomorrow and if still nothing ill put more up on the kit

·
Registered
502 Posts
Try pressing set twice and leaving it for a minute or two. I've found sometimes they take a little while to activate for the first time. No idea why.
I have the BD set up from summit to and it is like what is said above it may take two pushes to make work the first time for what ever reason.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yeah, it was a pain to get the pin to seat. I had to cut back some insulation so it would. It shouldn't matter if you have the steering wheel controls. The set is for the cruise control. Maybe if you post more specifics on the the kit (since most people got theirs from kennedy diesel or eric merchant) it might be easier to give some help. All I can say is check your connections and make sure they are right and that they are good connections.
It is exactly the same as the Kennedy kit just summit churches it up more and it cost more (not much). I found it out the hard way but it works just as the kennedy kit and the directions look just like the kennedy kit. Yes though you have to hit the set butten a couple times and hold it a few seconds the second time and it will jump up there. Trust me.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I forgot that you do have to push the set twice to get activate the high idle. Mine has always been that way after startup. After it is activated, you only need one push of the set or resume. If you shut down the truck, it starts the whole series again. Mine has worked flawlessly though.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Did I read a year or so ago that some ECMs may need to be flashed to get the PTO portion to work?

I would also make sure you have a good power source and that the pin is installed correct making contact.

·
Registered
241 Posts
i remeber reading that certain year trucks had to be put to a tech2 scanner to activate the ECM. you may go to autozone or somewhere like that and have them hook you up. mine did not require this.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Sweet, just signed up for this site today, and all ready you guys have solved one of my problems. I bought my Duramax used, and it had a fast idle switch installed. I couldn't get it to work, searched the internet a bit with no answer. Didn't realise you had to engage the cruise control.

Thanks a bunch!!

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
Did I read a year or so ago that some ECMs may need to be flashed to get the PTO portion to work?

I would also make sure you have a good power source and that the pin is installed correct making contact.
I have yet to see one that had to have it enabled with a tech 2.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts