Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I let my truck idle in an alley for 10 minutes while I went inside. When I came out the EGT (according to my edge atitude) was at 1200 degrees. it slowly started to go down as I started driving. Is this normal?

P.S. outside temp 38 degrees, elevated idle disabled, auto climate control on, edge on level 3, see sig for mods.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
There is something wrong with the pyrometer probe I imagine.

·
Registered
710 Posts
The probe or your turbo is toast. Hopefully the former and not the latter.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The probe or your turbo is toast. Hopefully the former and not the latter.
What would be some other symptoms if my turbo is toast?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Your turbo isn't toast,something is wrong with either the EGT Probe or the Attitude monitor.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the help, I'll start with the pyrometer.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
An easy test would be to disconnect the probe. The attitude will drop back to a really low temp if the probe is the problem. If it stays high then the attitude is the problem.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Besides, turbos aren't active at idle. You must load the engine to spool the turbo and create boost. Definitely not a turbo/mechanical problem.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
You said you where in an alley, by chance was there anything close to your tailpipe?? Any type of significant restriction will raise the temps. However 1200 is high, yet it went down when you were driving, how low when driving?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it wasn;t where I parked because it did the same thing when I parked in my driveway, then it hit 1900 degrees as I was driving down a county road. I'm pretty sure it is the sensor.

·
Registered
98 Posts
my truck did the same thing two days ago. i had just washed it, pulled out of the wash bay, and left it idling while i dried it off. i got back in the truck and my edge was going crazy. egt was around 1350-1400. when i drove it it got up around 2000. i pulled over to check the probe lead and unplugged and replugged in the att. monitor. it didn't change. so i figured if egt was that high, the exhaust pipe must be extremely hot. so i crawled under the truck and touched the pipe and it didn't seem abnormally hot, especially if exhaust temp is twice what it should be. so i didn't worry about it. i dropped the truck off to get the oil changed and when i got back in egt's were normal. i guess sometimes the edge will lie, but i still love it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think the problem is the Edge it's junk...you should look elsewhere for more power!!

·
Registered
412 Posts
I think the problem is the Edge it's junk...you should look elsewhere for more power!!
Ummm......with 15 posts on the books you'd better back up your statement or you will have no future credibility...

The Edge is a great product if it fits your specific needs and a LOT of people on this site use it for their purpose with great success. Look before you leap! :cool:

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
And in all your vast experience and wisdom you know this how??

·
Registered
98 Posts
If my Edge is junk, I surely don't want a non-junk tuner. That old junky Edge is about all my truck can handle..........Right Now.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I agree that it must be a sensor/input anomoly. You cannot get those high temps without lots of fuel, and at idle the fuel passage through the injectors is minimal. Thermocouples work by a property that dissimilar metals in contact with each other can create a small current to flow - so a question, do they use salt on the roads where you live? If so an localized insulation break with saline water may induce an additional current into the circuit.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Only when we eat fresh roadkill do we use salt on the road, but more often we bring it home and cook it and use the salt there.

No, no salt on the road

·
Registered
114 Posts
Only when we eat fresh roadkill do we use salt on the road, but more often we bring it home and cook it and use the salt there.

No, no salt on the road

:funnypost

1 - 20 of 22 Posts