Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I do a WOT 1/4 mile run my egt's will reach 1350+ by the time I'm in 4th gear. This is with the HJ/AT in level 4. Is it normal for it to go that high so quickly?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Thats not bad, i can bury mine past 1600 by the time its in 3rd to 4th, and haven't melted my aluminum pistons
Yes that's normal, just don't stay at those temps for too long, such as minutes. Short bursts aren't gonna hurt anything.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Where do you think I should set the egt cut off at on the attitude? I was thinking about setting it at about 1300 for every day use and towing, and then turn it up for drag racing and testing.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Personal preference. I can't see you hitting 1300 in everyday normal driving. If your gonna maybe run between some lights or run some unsuspecting ricers then you'll probably hit that 1300.

I did a little test this past winter pulling trailer +weight. I ran the 215 stacked with the 145 pulling a 18ft float with bobcat and skid of salt and a skid of salt in the back of the bed. Probably gross weight of 20k+ and if i drove normal with a load like that i only hit 1300-1400. Now if i poured the coals to it, i could bury the egts past 1600, but you would have to be absolutely brain dead to drive like that with that type of load with other vehicles around.(no i'm not brain dead, it was 1am with no traffic around on my way home from moving snow). The air temp when i was doing this was 20F.

Needless to say it moved the load like it was a snowmobile trailer behind the truck, pretty scary how the truck didn't even sweat the load. I didn't do this to see what my egts did, but to see if there was any slip iin the converter when pulling a load like that with balls to the wall programing. Converter passed with flying colors, so says my attitude monitor set on % tranny slippage.Edited by: heartbeatcanada

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
I hit 1350 by the top of 1st gear in level 5.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Guys your allisons must make for high egt.

My balls to the wall power runs(empty) have never got above 1400 and thats 5/5 hjat.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I have hit 1300++ post turbo on a burst run, from cruisin to 80+, of course this was with Quad 230 and some extra fuel compliments of quad!!! This is with 4" strait pipe and Afe 2. As long as it is a short burst you will be fine. I have yet to hear of anyone melting anything.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Any of the big stacks will hit 1600 to 1800 degrees plus in EGT, even if your gauge is not showing it.

I can peg 1800 with ease. Bottom line is we need more air.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
whooooooooooosh

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Don't be throwin no carrots my way Super Dave!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts