Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to have my fog lights stay on when i turn my high beams on?

·
Registered
716 Posts
I'm sure there is a way, I just havent taken the time to look at the wireing. I'll look into it, it is quite annoying that they go on and off with the high beams.

Kyle

·
Registered
716 Posts
Thanks for the link, This looks to be what I will do....

By Army,

Keep in mind this is on a 2003 GMC - other years may be different, even 2003 chevrolet may be differant although I would think it would be the same. For all lights on with high beams:

The bcm is under the steering column, I had to remove the dash panel to get to it. There are 3 larger 24 or so pin connectors on it. The one I am referring to is the 24 pin on the left side.

This connector has 2 rows of 12 pins, one above the other. There are pin numbers associated with them but they were hard to read so I'll explain it like this:

Top row: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 -we'll call T

Bottom row: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 -we'll call B

T1 is black-white and is High beam control- tap into this and run to a spst (2 terminal) switch, if you are going to use a switch to disable this mod. On the other side of the switch solder 3 diodes with the band ends towards the switch. I used 1n4005 diodes. Now for each of the other ends of the diodes you will solder a short length of wire on and tap into these leads as follows:

T4- is green black and is DRL control

B4- is pink and is low beam control

B5- green white and is fog lamp control

When you're done make sure to insulate each of these ends of the diodes and wires from each other and everything else. Start the truck,turn the headlights on if it's not dark, and with you're new switch off everything should work as before, or as normal. Turn the switch on and with you're high low beam lever in the low position you're low beams and fog lamps should work as normal. Flip to high beam and everything should come on. All we're really doing here is operating the relays under the hood that turn these lamps on normally. There should be no problem with power as they are still getting power the factory way. My only concern is the grounds on the headlamps, I'm hoping they don't run too warm running both lamps at once, and I don't know if both lamps are grounded together or if they have individual grounds. I may have to upgrade the grounds if they give trouble. Hope this is somewhat understandable!Click on image to open in new window

Further note- if you are testing with the ignition switch off the DRLs will not come on at all, that's why I said start you're truck in the testing. If you don't want to install a switch to bypass this mod just connect the band ends of the diodes directly to the T1 black white wire.
Edited by: Kyle03D

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
would it work for a 02?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I know the headlight switch is different on an 02 so probobly the whole setup is different. Minn-kota said he had done this on an 02. If you pm him he might be able to help!

·
Registered
326 Posts
IMHO it's not worth the time or effort on the 02's. The foglights (and I use that term loosely) are so pathetic as to be virtually useless.

If you want to have foglights (that actually work!) on when you hit your highs you should probably think aftermarket. That way, you can wire them yourself. That's what I did anyway...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts