Diesel Place banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having an issues with my 2018 GMC 2500 with around 126,000 miles where if my truck sits for at least an hour I get a high pitched noise around 35mph when modulating the accelerator. It’s been to two different shops and they say they can hear the noise but by the time they get it back to the lift it’s gone so they can’t tell what the issue is. It only happens for the first mile or so. Has anyone dealt with this before? I was able to get it on video here.

· Administrator
26,950 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace
(y)

· Registered
2019 Silverado HD 2500 LTZ ZR1 Metallic Black 6.6 Duramax. 2003 Silverado HD 6.0 Gasser. 2003 Monte
209 Posts
I’m not that knowledgeable about the diesel engines but there’s a wealth of information knowledge on this site someone will be able to help you.

Good luck with your issue.

· Registered
2020 Silverado 3500HD Duramax/Allison, LT, Crew Cab, SRW, Std. Bed, Z71, 4WD,
2,426 Posts
I listened to the video twice, and I couldn’t hear any high-pitched noise. Is it possibly the turbo you are hearing? Some guys pay big bucks to get that highly prized turbo whine.

Reactions: OkDually

· Administrator
26,950 Posts
It could be a slightly loose turbo pipe or pipe clamp causing the noise

· Registered
2019 Silverado HD 2500 LTZ ZR1 Metallic Black 6.6 Duramax. 2003 Silverado HD 6.0 Gasser. 2003 Monte
209 Posts
It’s hard to hear the high pitched sound you’re talking about. The truck sounds a lot like the 2019 I have going down the road.

Good luck, you might be chasing nothing.

Mike

· Registered
209 Posts
Definitely hear it. I'd check all your pipe connections and check the hot pipe section for a crack.
You definitely have better ears than I do and the sound was playing in my hearing aids😀

· Registered
19 Posts
That is very high pitch sound. If its a boost leak, odd that it would be around 35mph and go away.
Just a thought, did you try turning off the radio. I once had a noise like that on a past truck and turned out to be coming through the radio.

· Registered
209 Posts
That is very high pitch sound. If its a boost leak, odd that it would be around 35mph and go away.
Just a thought, did you try turning off the radio. I once had a noise like that on a past truck and turned out to be coming through the radio.
That is a good idea, it could be coming through the radio. I really couldn’t hear it, I wear hearing aids for a reason though.

· Registered
209 Posts
I have turned off the radio thinking the same thing and the sound still continued.
Did you check for a loose turbo pipe as mentioned earlier in this thread?

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not yet, I’m going to take a look this weekend. I appreciate the suggestion.
Did you check for a loose turbo pipe as mentioned earlier in this thread?
Checked the hot side pipe and everything was tight with no cracks. I’ve heard possibly the up pipes, could they cause a noise like that?

· Registered
209 Posts
Checked the hot side pipe and everything was tight with no cracks. I’ve heard possibly the up pipes, could they cause a noise like that?
It’s possible, I don’t hear well so I couldn’t hear the sound in the video.

· Registered
209 Posts
I went ahead and ordered some aftermarket up pipes. Worst case I get some better airflow.
That will be an improvement either way and could very well be your issue.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts