Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got a 98 dodge commins diesel 5.9 ltr 4x4 longbed Manual with 66.000 original
miles on it. Wanted to know what you people might think is the best thing
to improve the performance? Differen't turbo, Chip, Air cleaner Any Known
possible problems to watch out for any advice would be great

Thanks ):h

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Automatic or Manual?

·
Registered
29 Posts
12 valve or 24? Early 98's were 12 valve.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
As far as I know there is no performance upgrades for the "Commins engine"

It is Cummins and we need to know if it is a 24 valve or 12 valve.

·
Registered
2 Posts
is it a 24 or 12 valve ?

So why does this default to , maybe it isn't going to??? So do you have a 24 valve or 12 ? You probably have a 53 block which is on the lower left side below the injector pump above the oil pan. These are know to crack and leak. Mine has been leaking since new but internally and they have never done any thing about it so ......... not happy . Don't do too much upgrading and it will probably be alright. The lift pumps go out on them so doooooooo get a gauge and I put two pressure senders in one at the top of the fuel filter. to monitor both sides of the fuel filter. there should be no more then 5 lbs restriction accross the filter. If you would like I can elaberate more on the wiring of this. Lets see what you have engine wise and might continue . ONLY BYE CLEAN FUEL it pays in not haveing to change the fuel filter. I went almost two years and it didn't need to be changed ( 2 lbs restriction) then but did it anywhy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts