Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<DIV>Hi All,</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I just purchase my first Diesel on 12/20/03. It's a 98 Chevy Suburban 2500 LS. Life has been interesting since picking it up. By 12/24/03 the Fuel injector pump went on it. After some calling I found out that it was still under warrantee and the shop then had it until 1/6/04. Even with all that I still love the truck. </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I'm in need of some advice on a repair. The block heater is cooked. Was under the truck and went looking for it. Found what I think is it above the oil filter and to the front. With it unplug I put my hand up around it and the wires were crispy. With it plug in it doesn't make a noise and it doesn't get warm around it. As I need to do an oil change and with the filter off it will make it easier to get it out. How do I go about removing it. Has anyone done this before?</DIV>

·
Registered
294 Posts
The block heater is in the center freeze plug in the engine block on the drivers side. Sounds like you found the fuel heater.

I went to plug my block heater in for the first time yesterday and it was dead, so I now have a 150 watt heat lamp sitting on the drivers side head hopping to get it started today before the temp goes to 0 tonight.

The repair is simple if your can get inside for a few hours. Drain the coolant. You may have to drill a hole in the heater to get some leverage on it during removal. I have removed them using 4 in vicegrips. Use Permatex on the rim to block surface when installing the new heater.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HowieE,

I sould have added that is it above the oil filter and to the front a bit on the driver side. I didn't even know that thier is a fuel heater? Are thier any good repair books that have some good diagrams?

Like the Airstream. Happen to be in the process of buy and restoring an old 59 Tradewind.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Howie isn't the fuel heater intergral to the fuel filt, bottom of the bowl on the 6.5, I'm pretty sure he's describing the block heater correctly, mine is drivers side lower block fwd and just above of oil filt adapter used on 4x4.

DG I've never done one myself but from my 98 GM service manual it does not look to be too difficult other than working in a cramped space.

Basically it says drain coolant, remove cord, loosen retaining bolt remove & replace heating element.

Are you sure element is bad maybe just a bad cord (which can be replaced separately), take resistance reading across element with cord disconnected should read < 100 ohm or so if good I don't know actual resistance of it but should be pretty low. if open (no resistance) element is bad. As an alternative to changing it I've read where a oil pan heater is more effective to water jacket heater, Kennedy Diesel & others sell pan kits that glue to outside bottom of pan. I can fax you the manual info pertinent to the heater change if interested PM me your fax#

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turbine Doc thats a better discription of were it is. I didn't add in that mines also a 4x4. Once I get a chance to get under it again I test it. Didn't know you could just replace the cord. Figured it was all or nothing.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<DIV>Hi All,</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Just replace the Block heater. Bit of a pain as you need to do an oil change at the same time. Lucky for me it was time. The oil filter has to be removed to get to the heater. Mine was in bad shape. Half of the cord at the point it plugs into the heater was burnt off. One prong and part of the guard on the heater was also burnt off. Got lucky it didn't burn a hole into the heater cap. Removal was fun. The new one has a bolt with a regular screw on it that pulls a little metal bar that makes the flanges bend out and grip on the inside. I figure that the old one had the same setup and tried to use the same socket to loose it up. Found out the old one only has the screw part and doesn't accept a socket. Little space little screw driver make for tough work. Also the refilling the radiator was a little new for me. As the radiator itself doesn't have a cap you need to fill a overflow box and it then sucks it into the radiator. Had a little worry that it might not do that but it did. Just need to add a little bit more to top off after it works out some of the air pockets.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Thanks for all the help everyone.</DIV>

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<DIV>Forgot to add a little plug for a technical group on diesels that I belong to. M & S Technical Services, Inc. They put out a news letter twice a month on Diesels and have a 800 number for members that puts you in touch with a diesel mechanic. Good ones. They are willing to talk to your own mechanic in order to help out with problems. They believe in engine life first which I like. They do a lot of testing on products such as Bio Diesel fuels. Even before I was a member one of the guys Dan answer a question about a problem I was having and then informed me that the part was still under warrantee. Fuel injector pump needed to be replace. They also sell parts. Needing a Block heater I did some calling around and found out only dealers in the area could get the part and it would need to be ordered taking 7 to 10 days and costing around $60. Decide to try M & S and they happen to have one and shipped it to me the next day for half the price of the dealer. Defiantly going to shop their prices on what ever my needs might be.</DIV>

·
Registered
104 Posts
Congrats on the heater. Mine just went out on my truck last week. I plugged it in and a second later I heard a pop and it started leaking coolant. Didn't have to drop the oil filter though. Just took off the liner in the fender well and reached in undone the screw enough to get it out without dropping the back piece down the block, and took it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts