Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

Hello to all!

Got a question .... I bought a 2002 Duramax and was clearly told that using any tire but the stock 245 would cause truck warranty issues.

I'm thinking aobut trading for a 06 or 07 modle and wonder if there is any problem using larger than 245 tires on the new Duramax trucks.

Thanks,

Slim

BTW.... use the truck to haul horses in 3 horse gooseneck. Truck and engine has been perfect!

·
Registered
206 Posts
My Dealer Service guy says lift + bigger meats, warranty still OK. Tuners a no-no. Just depends on dealer...some dealers offer new Dmax's lifted w/ bigger meats for sale.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I can't really see how bigger tires would cause to go out of warranty unless you had a shock, or front end claim. Larger tires weigh more and when you have more mass hanging out on the end like that, you put more stress on all the steering components, so I suppose they could argue that. Also, it will wear your shocks out quicker and fratique your springs more. Other than that, I can't see how it would hurt anything else.

·
Registered
4 Posts
first post.
i have a 05 lly w/ 7200 miles. 285's, edge juice. 4" no muff,conv. tranny has limped 10-15 times. on level 3 or 4 code 735. went to the dealer w/ tunner on it. he told me if it will limp without the tunner on it,he will repalce?repair? trans. it is getting worse. my ? is, if i thrash the trans w/ the tunner then remove it. will they know the tunner finished it off? looking for some advice?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
first post.
i have a 05 lly w/ 7200 miles. 285's, edge juice. 4" no muff,conv. tranny has limped 10-15 times. on level 3 or 4 code 735. went to the dealer w/ tunner on it. he told me if it will limp without the tunner on it,he will repalce?repair? trans. it is getting worse. my ? is, if i thrash the trans w/ the tunner then remove it. will they know the tunner finished it off? looking for some advice?
go see Mike L. or Eric.

Jim

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
first post.
If you want to play, you will pay!
BS the dealer and what will you get? A tranny that will just limp again.
Your pushing more than the tranny was designed to handle.
Read the tranny forums, pick your upgrade and call a local tranny shop/forum vender or do it yourself....

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Our trucks were not designed to just instantly tack on a huge chunk of horsepower and torque and not upgrade to stronger components. I think part of the reason there are so many problems with warranty and the aftermarket are that people just expect GM to pay when you go and tear up your tranny (and whatever else) with a programmer. I certainly wouldn't feel too good about myself trying to get GM to fix mine when I knew I was the one that caused the damage!! And don't forget that this person that is claiming to be "mod-friendly" will more than likely pull the rug out from under you when it comes time for the warranty work. Just my .02.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Try these!

I put 265/70R17 Bridgestone HP Duelers on my Truck. I believe I saw that size listed in the owners Manual as a size that the Truck could have come with from the factory. They are 1" taller than the 245/75R16 stock tires.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts