Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... got 94k on our crew cab 2WD dually and it has been a good truck...

Couple things...

Put a BD box on it along with a Volant intake and Banks 4"... had problems immediately following injector mods and BD box add...

1) Truck more often than not flashes tranny codes... dealer tells me a reflash will fix most problems. True? BTW, I have zero problems with the performance of the Allison. This problem was actually apparant prior to the performance mods.

2) Had injectors upgraded at about 85k... essentially an extrude hone job. Overpressure disks are still in place... they tell me that they are now removing the disks now, drilling and tapping the holes, and installing "set screws" so that it is impossible for an over pressure event thus dumping diesel into the oil. Well OK... I got injectors without the "set screw" upgrade. Truck runs no better... but belches a little more black smoke. So, injectors that were suppoed to give me 90hp... got me nothing.

2) Truck went in to the dealer at 89k for excessive coolant consumption. Driver rear cylinder puking coolant out of glow plug hole. Dealer determined head to be warped and sent head back to GM for failure analysis... a report I'm quite certain I will never see. They replaced it with an "upgraded" head... according to them. FYI, the warranty ticket only showed $450 for the head. Now I got 2 mismatched heads. Don't seem right. Drives good now... but considering the purchase of a crate motor. I can get a substantial discount because my shop (deals mainly with C5 Corvette's) does ALOT of business with the local GM parts house. I will NOT buy a new truck at this time. Allison whines quite a bit... but my understanding that is normal on the earlier units... been that way since day one.

We also put the Mag-Hytec rear cover and tranny pan on... nice pieces.Edited by: Bill Reid

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Welcome

Few questions for ya ,if you would ...

What BD box are you running ?? Who's injectors??Any dyno numbers ??

There is some tranny reflashes but I don't know what problems your having to add there is a fix ....They do whine in first ...No upgrades,hows it holding ??

Never heard of an upgraded head so me thinks there pulling your leg ...

Mac

Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
398 Posts
Welcome Bill!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The box is an Edge EZ Amp manufactured 6/12/03... I had heard there were problems with the earlier units. I have thought about pulling this box off and ordering a Diablosport hand held tuner. Anybody got feedback on those? What about Banks? Whats the best aftermarket programmer/box?

The injectors were remanufactured in Washington state. A local shop installed them. I forget who modified them... info is at the shop. We do have an above ground Dynojet 248... but we do not have it optioned for crank trigger... plus I would have to take the safety railing down in order to clear the dually fenders.

The truck flat out scoots... but its weird... sometimes its a little sluggish belching out alot of black smoke other times its fine. We keep the setting on 4... but when we haul our 42 ft car hauler we have it programmed on setting 2. We have had a couple of instances where the BD Edge box loses its memory and we have to reprogram... but lately we have not had to do that.

Our boost gauge shows a consistant 24 psi at wide open throttle... and obviously during inclines while towing.

Dealer told me earlier model 01 Duramax motors had problems with the heads and a different part number, supposably better, was issued in 02. I suppose I can ask the GM parts counter to verify.

Has anybody LOST performance by going to a larger exhaust? Such as the Bank's 4" system? I like the sound but the interior cabin resonance at certain RPM's bugs me on long trips.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
... also, I heard the whining of the Allison's on the earlier equipped trucks was due to the pump and that, although there was no recall, if I pushed hard enough I could get the pump replaced. I was told the whining noise did not affect perfromance nor did it shorten the expected life of the transmission, true?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts