Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Diesel Master, Formerly goth2o
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as it says. I have a 6.0 2003 Chevy 3500 (single wheel 2wd) Express cutaway van with a Spartan utility box. It's a base model with tow/haul as the only option. I purchased it last year for my business. Needless to say, it likes to use fuel-especially towing my trencher or compressor around. I was actually impressed with the power, so that's not really the issue (of course more is better). I installed a K&N filter (couldn't find a cold air intake) and it helped a little. I was just wondering if the programmers offered help at all with fuel consumption and which ones you guys would recommend. I'd like something in the $200 range if possible.

Lastly, none of the models I see offer one for a 3500 van. I would think that they are the same as the trucks, but I'm not sure. Thanks in advance!

Vendors welcome!!!

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I would get a performance tune. Nelson's, Wait 4 Me, Wester's..They're all good.

But....You will have to run premium for the most gains.

Personally, I wouldn't get my hopes up too high if your used to driving around a chipped diesel...

·
Diesel Master, Formerly goth2o
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. I understand the comparison btw my D-max and what to expect from the 6.0. I just figured every little bit helps. What about basic downloaders like Superchips, Hypertech, etc?? Would it even be worth the $$$ or should I just leave it alone?

·
Registered
797 Posts
I have had two gasser vans and done Hypertech programmers for both...it helped me get the extra power for towing, but nothing for mileage gains.

As a real negative with gasser programmers...you need to run the $$$ expensive higher octance fuel when you run programmer tunes...kind of defeats the reason, unless your just want more power at any cost !!

K&N was good to do...to make a cold air system I modified my stock air box (opened up the sides and bottom) I also added a Granatelli Performance mass air meter, plenium spacer, smaller pulleys, colder t-stat.

The best mileage and power gains in my vans came from installing a larger performance exhaust, just need to be carefull about the muffler style..or you will find it is to loud when towing

Hope this info helps....Quick 6

·
Registered
409 Posts
If your not going to do a custom tune look into predator them seem to have more options than anybody else plus they can be custom tuned to an extent. I think I might go that direction.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I have always been a big fan in hypertech that what i have in my goat as far as horsepower i can tell a major differnce but miliage i get about 1 or 2 mpg with 93 octane but i would say get u a torando for it that will give u some more milage custom mise your intake and put exhaust on it with all that u should look at about 5+ mpg better then what u get now

·
Registered
315 Posts
I LOVE my Predator Programmer. Its the best money i ever spent on that truck.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
If you are going to spend the money, spend it on a custom tuned pcm. I started with superchips on my old 6.0. It made a difference. I then got a custom tune from wester's and it was night and day. I think part of it is the tuning on the transmission shifting and firmness. All of the custom tuners get good reviews.

good luck

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
If you are set on getting a programmer, get a PPE or a Bullydog. They have excellent features and noticeable power and milaeage gains. If you want to spend the same amount and get a better deal, get a Nelson, Wester's, or Wait4me tuned pcm.. They do free upgrades and can tune for several more variables than any hand held can do.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Is that wait for me tune just for chevy or do they have anything for a goat ( dodge )

·
Registered
235 Posts
I would do a wheatley custom tune if I were you. He is small right now so his prices are good, and I have heard many good things about it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
anyone have links if these are websites yall are talking about

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yeppers, need some websites, as I need to get a custom tune on my 8.1L Allison. With the price of gas today, I am ready to start riding the bike 365.

"Doc"

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
Dont waste your money on a Tornado. I bought one for my X wife's 04 ZR2 Blazer and currently have one installed in my 2000 Ford Crown Vic. It did exactly nothing.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Just loaded a tune from Jesse @ wait4meperformance in my co-workers '03 2500HD 6.0L. He getting about 40-50 miles more per tank. That's on a mild performance/mileage tune. Jesse tunes are excellent and a super deal.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The predator is a very good programmer. I really liked mine on my 03 6.0. It is a good system for a beginner and if you like You can adjust you shift RPM and firmness as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
if your looking for a decent "programmer" find someone with efi live....had a friend with a 6.0 get his ecm reprogrammed ...he gained 3 mpg and can now keep up with my 8.1....around here "wisconsin" you can get someone with efi live to program for around 100-200 dollars

1 - 19 of 19 Posts