Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have found this forum very helpful over the years. Finally made an account think this is the first time I have posted. This place has helped me trouble shoot random stuff on my old '97 Express 6.5, we ran it hard for 400K its pretty much toast.

Now proud owner of an '07 express with the lmm. My weapon of choice for motocross. And keeps my tools and equipment safe at work. Never been one to care about looks, at all. Would rather put money toward performance and reliability. So letting the paint flake off. Funny how vans creep people out. At least they mind their business when you're around, and keeps the critters away.

Found this one with 150k miles and pcv issues. Oil was everywhere under the hood. Jeep dealer took it as trade in and wanted nothing to do with it. Identified the oily mess as an easy fix thanks to info I found on here. Took a chance on it, rerouted pcv and no more leaking. Ran better after pcv fix too. Later it started the reduced power and dpf codes, assume soot built up from hauling equipment around town. A friend helped me with egr cat dpf delete and tune - efi live. Just a blocker plate on there now, might delete all the way but at 174k now and running great. Replacing crushed oem down pipe was a no brainer. Water pump went bad recently, replaced with welded gear water pump. Not easy to get here but I bet a lot of you would say it will be worth the effort. Have been wanting to do a lift pump for quite a while. Installing it now y'all have already been very helpful with that, some good threads on the topic.

Attachments

Reactions: ShopSpecialties

·
Administrator
15,966 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace

:thumb:

Reactions: spacecadet

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty sure i understand the right way to route the fuel lines for the lift pump. For the vans the lift pump goes in line after priming pump but before secondary filter. So fuel line from tank going to engine enters the priming pump primary filter first, then lift pump then secondary filter then injection pump. Wanted to check and make sure i have that right

return line running back through priming pump housing, then through fuel cooler to tank works same as before.

Have the electrical run, pump mounted, hoses planned out. gonna hook it up after work if i got this right. I know there are pics out there somwhere of your set ups with kennedy pumps. Having trouble finding a pic of one routed the way its supposed to. Cant get some the pics to work, or just cant find them again. If anyone has a pic I would be more confident after seeing it rather than trusting my note taking lol

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Pretty sure i understand the right way to route the fuel lines for the lift pump. For the vans the lift pump goes in line after priming pump but before secondary filter. So fuel line from tank going to engine enters the priming pump primary filter first, then lift pump then secondary filter then injection pump. Wanted to check and make sure i have that right

return line running back through priming pump housing, then through fuel cooler to tank works same as before.

Have the electrical run, pump mounted, hoses planned out. gonna hook it up after work if i got this right. I know there are pics out there somwhere of your set ups with kennedy pumps. Having trouble finding a pic of one routed the way its supposed to. Cant get some the pics to work, or just cant find them again. If anyone has a pic I would be more confident after seeing it rather than trusting my note taking lol
I have a revision for that to make life easy. I had went a step further and after much discussion with John I no longer recommend that. It has created to much confusion and violated the #1 rule of KISS.

Fuel tank - lift pump - prime pump - done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a revision for that to make life easy. I had went a step further and after much discussion with John I no longer recommend that. It has created to much confusion and violated the #1 rule of KISS.

Fuel tank - lift pump - prime pump - done.
whoa haha

well alright thanks. sounds like the stock priming pump doesnt return as much fuel as expected? gotta assume you can run it either way and get the same performance

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
It does return a lot of fuel and you have the circus of lines BUT keeping things simple eliminates thinking and people calling John and asking him stupid questions because of my mod.

Do not think about it just keep it simple and everything will be great !

·
Registered
98 Posts
whoa haha

well alright thanks. sounds like the stock priming pump doesnt return as much fuel as expected? gotta assume you can run it either way and get the same performance
On all our Van's we personally just delete the whole stock setup and just run the fass setup

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On all our Van's we personally just delete the whole stock setup and just run the fass setup
Nice, I ended up going with the airdog II 4g 100. Just like the fass its got the two spin ons so I did delete the stock spin on with the XPD fuel filter delete. Decided to run 30 micron paper filters in the primary fuel filter. Installed the air dog after the primary filter but before the now deleted secondary spin on. Not sure what you mean by deleting the whole stock set up, would be interested to see. Definitely thought about trying it but for sake of time it was easy to leave things routed the way they were. Stock return running through the fuel cooler, with the air dog return in the fuel filler hose

I have been happy with the air dog, no issues and my van definitely been running better. Nothing against kennedys pumps, had one on my 6.5. Lot of nice rigs on here that swear by the kennedy lift. I noticed Kennedy doesnt state volume specs where you know youre getting 8psi and 100gpm with the air dog. So just wanted to try something different I guess. Probably spent a little more than I needed to, by the time I bought the spin on delete and stuff. But still, money well spent.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Nice, I ended up going with the airdog II 4g 100. Just like the fass its got the two spin ons so I did delete the stock spin on with the XPD fuel filter delete. Decided to run 30 micron paper filters in the primary fuel filter. Installed the air dog after the primary filter but before the now deleted secondary spin on. Not sure what you mean by deleting the whole stock set up, would be interested to see. Definitely thought about trying it but for sake of time it was easy to leave things routed the way they were. Stock return running through the fuel cooler, with the air dog return in the fuel filler hose

I have been happy with the air dog, no issues and my van definitely been running better. Nothing against kennedys pumps, had one on my 6.5. Lot of nice rigs on here that swear by the kennedy lift. I noticed Kennedy doesnt state volume specs where you know youre getting 8psi and 100gpm with the air dog. So just wanted to try something different I guess. Probably spent a little more than I needed to, by the time I bought the spin on delete and stuff. But still, money well spent.
I would say you made things worse not better. Your van came with 2 great Racor fuel filters which do a far better job. The Kennedy pumps are in the 180 GPH range. Personally I think both the Air Dog and Fass are over hyped low quality units.

·
Registered
98 Posts

Delete the stock filter and fuel prime/filter... then just plumb the fass inline. Its mounted on the frame

1 - 10 of 10 Posts