3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THE ADDITIVE TEST
Bench & Real Use Test​

The Products
  1. RBP's High Performance Diesel Additive
  2. E-Zoil's Diesel Aid+
  3. Stanadyne's Performance Formula
  4. Power Service's Diesel Fuel Supplement+Cetane Boost (the white bottle)
  5. FPPF's Total Power
  6. Primrose’s Power-Master Plus 405-C
Bench Test
Materials used:
    1. Small glass bottle
    2. Kolor Kut - water finding paste
    3. Liquid measuring tool
    4. Water
    5. Wooded stick
    6. Piece of paper
Steps of testing product:
    1. 10ml of water added to bottle.
    2. 10ml of product added to bottle.
      [*]*
      Picture taken right after water and product are combined.
    3. 2 minutes of mixing the two liquids.
      [*]*
      Picture taken.
    4. 2 minutes allowing mixture to settle.
      [*]*
      Picture taken.
    5. Water testing paste applied to wooden stick and dipped into bottle.
    6. Color test noted (no color change = no water detected / color change = water detected).
      [*]*
      Picture taken.
    7. Burn test:
    1. Small piece of paper dipped into mixture and lit on fire.
      [*]*
      Picture taken.
    2. Paper allowed to burn until flame goes out.
      [*]*
      Picture taken.
12. End of test. * Picture taken. (Product sitting approximately 10 minutes in bottle.)
Real Use Test
  1. Used in a 2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LB7 Duramax, Allison, CrewCab, ShortBed, 4X4 w/ BANKS cat-back w/ MBRP frontpipe, VOLANT air intake, HYPERTECH on level 3, 7 inch ProComp lift, WELD EVO Volociti 8 rims and BFG AT 315/75/16 tires.
  2. Each product was used as per instruction on label and to its completion.
  3. After completion of one product, a complete tank fuel with no additives was run through.
  4. A new filter was put on for each product. Yes, 6 filters were used. But since these filters were each only run for a short while, no photo was taken due to the fact that each filter looked the same.
  5. Items noted:
  1. Power felt (none, more, less)
  2. MPG (none, +, -)
  3. Anything else noticeable (ex. Engine noise, idle (rough or smooth), etc.)
Conclusion
This test was performed in Corona, California. Each product was tested (bench and real) exactly in the same matter. All measurements of liquids (water and product) were precise. I am not employed and have no financial interest with any of the 5 products used in this test. This test was to assist you in choosing the best product based on what the product claims and the results of this test. The decision is yours. This was an independent test and I have no background in chemical analysis. These are only my findings and yours may vary.

I would to thank the following DieselPlace.Com individuals:

1. [*]4kops, for the bottle of E
    -Zoil's Diesel Aid+ additive and the testing kit.
  2. Eric Merchant (a.k.a. – dmaxalliTech), for his low cost on bottle of Stanadyne's Performance Formula and FPPF's Total Power additives.
Also, would like to thank everyone at DieselPlace.Com for their patience and encouraging posts and comments. I hope you get a lot of information and eye opening as much as I did from this test. I enjoyed performing this test and mostly enjoyed sharing my findings with all of you.

Take care and be safe,
Doug
AKA – Bodysurfer on the DieselPlace.Com forum.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Attachments

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
RBP:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
E-Zoil:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
fppf:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Primrose 405-C:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Looks to me like RBP performed the best? Am I wrong?

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Findings
~~~~~~~~~~~​
Bench & Real Tests

1. [*]RBP's High Performance Diesel Additive
  1. Bench Test
    1. Didn’t seem to remove/attach itself to the water as seen in mix, settle and post photos.
    2. Water test displayed major indication of water on wooden stick and in bottle.
    3. Burn test was very volatile (fast and crackling of flame). Also, it couldn’t completely burn paper (approximately 50%) due to water still left in mixture on paper.
  1. Real Test
    1. Power felt while using entire product.
    2. MPG - none noted.
    3. Pinging and knocking noted on acceleration from a stop.

1. [*]E-Zoil's Diesel Aid+
  1. Bench Test
    1. Seem to attack water instantly as seen in the photo when added to water. Also, seen in the pre and post mixing photos. But noted a slight separation of the product and water in the post end test photo.
    2. Water test displayed no indication of water.
    3. Burn test was fast and burned approximately 98% of the paper.
  1. Real Test
    2. MPG – +1 mpg noted.
    3. No pinging or knocking noted. Sounds like a Duramax…. quiet.

1. [*]Stanadyne's Performance Formula
  1. Bench Test
    1. Seem to remove/attach itself to the water only after being mixed as seen in the post-mixing photo. But noted a slight separation in the post settling photo and even more as seen in the post end test photo.
    2. Water test displayed a slight indication of water.
    3. Burn test was fast and burned approximately 75% of the paper.
  1. Real Test
    2. MPG – none noted.
    3. No pinging or knocking noted. Sounds like a Duramax…. Quiet.

1. [*]Power Service's Diesel Fuel Supplement+Cetane Boost (white bottle)
  1. Bench Test
    1. Seem to remove/attach itself to the water only after being mixed as seen in the post mixing and settling photos. Also, no separation noted in the post end test photo. Seemed to completely hold/disperse the water.
    2. Water test displayed no indication of water.
    3. Burn test was fast and completely burned the entire paper.
  1. Real Test
    2. MPG – none noted.

1. [*]FPPF's Total Power
  1. Bench Test
    1. Seem to remove/attach itself to the water only after being mixed as seen in the post-mixing photo. But noted a start of separation in the post settling photo and even more as seen in the post end test photo.
    2. Water test displayed a very slight indication of water.
    3. Burn test was fast and burned approximately 75% of the paper.
  1. Real Test
    2. MPG – +1 mpg noted.
    3. No pinging or knocking noted. Sounds like a Duramax…. Quiet

1. [*]Primrose’s Power-Master Plus 405-C
  1. Bench Test
    1. Seem to remove/attach itself to the water only after being mixed as seen in the post-mixing photo. But noted a slight start of separation in the post settling photo and complete separation as seen in the post end test photo.
    2. Water test displayed a slight indication of water.
    3. Burn test was very volatile (fast and crackling of flame) and burned approximately 75% of the paper.
  1. Real Test
    1. Power – not more than normal.
    2. MPG – well hard to believe but –1 to –1 ½ mpg noted.
The Choice Of Product Is Up To You…
I just tested them.​

Thank you!​

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Thanks for the hard work!

Now I don't know what to think...LOL!

I am guessing that gelling isn't much of an issue for you guys in SoCal.):h

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Thanks for taking all the time and effort, Bodysurfer! A lot of us have been waiting patiently (and some not so patiently) for your results.

One comment on the "bench tests" 10 ml water to 10 ml product is pretty brutal! I wouldn't expect any product to perform well at 1:1 ratio to water!

No diesel is also a problem. Most of the products are designed to work *with* diesel fuel to condition the fuel, not alone!

A more representitive testing series would be using a common batch of fuel, additive added to the correct treatment ratio and then a "real world" amount of water added to the additive/fuel mix (say 2 oz to 32 oz of mixture) that would give good indication of the ability of the additive in fuel to cope with a "dose" of water. 1:16 would represent getting nearly 2 gallons of water into a full tank of treated fuel!

Not to criticize, just some observations.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Thanks for the write up Bodysurfer

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
First of all, thanks for the work and for posting the results.

But, I have a few issues with the tests. I agree with Idle Chatter about the bottle tests. You are never going to see that much water in a real world situation, so you are outside the design parameters of the additive. While this doesn't completely invalidate the testing, it does require the interpretation of the results to be taken with a grain of salt. The results would be much more scientifically significant if you were working within the design parameters of the additive.

For the real world tests, how many tanks/miles did you run through to get the mpg calculations? Natural variation can be so large it takes a good-sized data set to really get significant results.

Like Idle Chatter, I in no way mean to criticize your testing. Part of my job description is to read manuscripts and point out inconsistencies with the experimental methods and/or results, so it sort of comes naturally to me in all facets of life.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Thanks for taking all the time and effort, Bodysurfer! A lot of us have been waiting patiently (and some not so patiently) for your results.

One comment on the "bench tests" 10 ml water to 10 ml product is pretty brutal! I wouldn't expect any product to perform well at 1:1 ratio to water!

No diesel is also a problem. Most of the products are designed to work *with* diesel fuel to condition the fuel, not alone!

A more representitive testing series would be using a common batch of fuel, additive added to the correct treatment ratio and then a "real world" amount of water added to the additive/fuel mix (say 2 oz to 32 oz of mixture) that would give good indication of the ability of the additive in fuel to cope with a "dose" of water. 1:16 would represent getting nearly 2 gallons of water into a full tank of treated fuel!

Not to criticize, just some observations.

Actually FPPF Fuel Power will take on water at 1:1 ratio both in whether presence of diesel or not, but does not have cetane boost of Total Power.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the praises but this was just a test I performed. As to the water test, I was just following the directions of the paste test I had. So I tested each product in the same way. I really dont know what to conclude from this but maybe someone can. I am not pushing one product over the next.

Hope this test helps and if there is any other test/ways of testing, let me know. I will perform them cuz I had a good time doing it for all of you here.

Thanks again,
Doug (aka Bodysurfer)
Southern California

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Thanks for all the hard work. I was anxiously awaiting your findings. I think this should be sticky somewhere. Great Info.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Thanks Doug. This is very interesting!

Bud

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hat's off to Bodysurfer. Thanks for puttin in the time and $ to do this test. That Power Service can hold an amazing amount of water!

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
Yeah, awesome test and nice rig by the way. And the winter is almost over. So, hopefully we can say goodby to winter blend trash and welcome new MPG.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts