Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've been interested in the BIo for a long time. I won't be brewing since I have no area for such equipment, but have been wanting to try it. No stations I know of in my direct area, however I was traveling this weekend to the central part of the state and found a station that carries it.

It's only B5 so it was unlikely for me to see any pros or cons to it, however I ran almost empty to the station, pumped in almost 25 gallons, ran the next day and on the return trip topped off again with around 10.5 gallons.

My mileage was around 18.5 which is around average for me this time of year.

Wish I could find it a local source to pump it in when I wanted.

·
Registered
12,004 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
What is the down fall of using bio diesel or is there any? i know nothing about bio diesel can someone explain bio to me?
will this hurt my truck if i use it? i found a place on the bio map and they are only 6 miles from me.
is it cheaper per gallon?
thanks,jeff

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
http://biodiesel.org/resources/faqs/default.shtm

Read around! There are many threads on it.

First thing for you is to watch out for gelling in the cold. I assume if the station is local to you, they would take necessary precautions to ensure good fuel temp characterisitcs.

Good luck

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have been running B20 in my truck for a couple of months now and the only thing I have had to do is replace filters......three as a matter of fact. The only downfall to using biodiesel is that the palaces in the middle east might get a little smaller while enabling the U.S. farmer to survive. I said it in another section in this forum that nothing is more satisfying to me than putting 20% off the cost of each gallon of fuel back into the pocket of the American farmer and not overseas.

Visit one of the sites indicated above for an education on Biodiesel.

Where I fill up, B20 is the same price as regular petro.

-Wardster:ro)

What is the down fall of using bio diesel or is there any? i know nothing about bio diesel can someone explain bio to me?
will this hurt my truck if i use it? i found a place on the bio map and they are only 6 miles from me.
is it cheaper per gallon?
thanks,jeff

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
The only downfall to using biodiesel is that the palaces in the middle east might get a little smaller while enabling the U.S. farmer to survive. I said it in another section in this forum that nothing is more satisfying to me than putting 20% off the cost of each gallon of fuel back into the pocket of the American farmer and not overseas.
:exactly:

I might even go as far to say it is better to put the $$ into small business owners pocket (the BD makers) than the big greedy oil companies pockets.

Visit one of the sites indicated above for an education on Biodiesel.

Where I fill up, B20 is the same price as regular petro.

-Wardster:ro)
Where are you located?

BTW, Ide be a bit worried about 3 filters plugged......tell me about it.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I am located in Circleville, Ohio (30 miles south of Columbus).

I went about 6K miles on two filters and I recently installed the third. This all happened after making the switch to B20, which I expected since my truck had just turned 100K. I also had heard that replacing a filter or two was normal when making the switch to biodiesel.

The retailer that I get this from is locally owned and they did not put in a new tank when they switched to biodiesel. I suspect that the new fuel is cleaning their system with some of the contaminents making their way into my tank, but I am not sure. My other thought was an injector problem, but the only symptom I have is loss of power and it is remedied simply by replacing the filter. Regardless, I don't mind spending a few bucks replacing filters until whoever's system gets cleaned.

-Wardster

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
...The retailer that I get this from is locally owned and they did not put in a new tank when they switched to biodiesel. I suspect that the new fuel is cleaning their system with some of the contaminents making their way into my tank, but I am not sure. My other thought was an injector problem, but the only symptom I have is loss of power and it is remedied simply by replacing the filter. Regardless, I don't mind spending a few bucks replacing filters until whoever's system gets cleaned.

-Wardster
I think you might be on to something with the retailer's tanks. I usually tell people that in newer vehicles filter plugging shouldn't be an issue, but if the retailer's tanks are old-and he doesn't have an adequate filter on the pump, then it is certainly possible to pick up the dissolved "junk" from his tanks.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
does soy bio have the same cleaning characteristics of WVO bio? I can see how the lye used in WVO could clean up a system, but would the soy stuff have the same effect?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
does soy bio have the same cleaning characteristics of WVO bio? I can see how the lye used in WVO could clean up a system, but would the soy stuff have the same effect?
The solvent characteristics (i.e. cleaning power) of biodiesel stem from the molecule itself. I will stay away from the complexities of the issue, but it doesn't matter where the fatty acids come from, it is the alkyl ester (usually methyl ester) that makes a good solvent.

Sodium or potassium hydroxide is used for the production of biodiesel regardless of the feedstock, it is what breaks apart the glyceride molecule to allow the methyl group to react with the fatty acid. In no way should there ever be any lye left in the finished fuel. This would be a sign of extremely poorly made fuel and should never be put into a fuel system.

·
Registered
700 Posts
The soy bio has been processed, so the lye is gone. WVO (that has not been processed) that is preheated can be used as fuel without processing, but I have never done anything like that.

Processed biodiesel acts as a solvent and therefore breaks up the build-up that you may have in your tank from petro. Once the fuel system is clean, changing the fuel filter will be done at typical intervals (every other oil change or every 10K miles for me).

-Wardster

1 - 12 of 12 Posts