Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know, the 12 bolts on the backside of an LB7 turbo are no fun to remove. They come from the factory torqued to tight-hundred and tighty-tight foot pounds, and seem to get tighter with age. I built this tool after the first LB7 turbo I fought with. I just took a cheap 3/8 drive ratchet, hacked the handle off leaving 4", and welded an old 1/2 inch drive socket to the end. This will allow you to drive it "offset", so you can get out from under the cowl and get some leverage on it. It may look ghetto, but it works great. After seeing so many turbo horror threads started lately, I thought I should share. This will allow you to get all the upper bolts, the others are accessible through the right side wheel well (with the fender liner removed). These are removed with various combinations of sockets, extensions, breaker bars, cheater pipes and cusswords. I hope this helps some of you guys out...

Attachments

Reactions: turbovanman

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And use a GOOD 12pt 12mm socket;)

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
can I buy that from you????

Im gonna need one soon. I assume the tool will work on LLY's as well?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
thanks ben:

gotta love that tool, its a arm and back saver

see tyson, always a smarter way to remove the turbo the second time.... this hint should help with the worst part of the job

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
now that is the sign of a good mechanic... can't find a tool for the job?? Fine..I'll make one myself!! :cool2:

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You won't really need it on an LLY, there is a band clamp in the location where this would help... The six bolts you deal with can be had through the wheel well...

can I buy that from you????

Im gonna need one soon. I assume the tool will work on LLY's as well?

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
thanks for the tip! should be fabing one of these up in a couple of weeks!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Better get your patent and become a supporting vendor as well as moderator!! :)

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Where was this a week ago:mad: ):h

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like you need to update your sig:ro)

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Sig updated :) That setup will save alot of needless bloodshed......not to mention time getting those bolts out

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.