Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well first off i'm new to diesels and been hoping up and racing all kinds of motor vehicles. This is the only realm where vendors are so viscious twords each other. But very glad your site is open and can get reall open views and experiences.

Well on to the the real stuff. I have a 94 6.5td in a 1 ton and it keeps blowing black smoke. I am only getting 3 lbs of boost. Any idea's how to get the boost back up. From what i undersatnd if i get the boost back up it will fix my fuel mixture problem. I tried just unpluging the solenoid valve for the wastgate but still no reall boost. I was also wondering if anyone had used a f250 ic on their truck. My friend did on his truck but it had a supercharged 383. I know his radiator is smaller but would be nice if it worked. Also has anyone vere thaught of doing one on top and using a ram air hood to cool it or a water cooled ic? Well i'll get more questions after i think of them but any help would be greatly appreciated.Edited by: edmond cowboy

·
Registered
294 Posts
Have you checked the turbo itself to be sure the beraings are ok. If that checks out check your vacuum, sometimes one side of the vacuum pump fails and you will still have slight vacuum but not enough to operate some functions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the bearings seem to be alright. I have some play in them and plan on rebuilding it as soon as i find a kit for it. How does that blow off valve actuator work? Does it require vacume to be closed or vacume to open? Well thanks for all the help guys.

·
Registered
120 Posts
at idle, there should be vac on the tube, this vac will keep the w/g arm fully retracted (meaning w/g closed, no exhaust is by-passing the turbine wheel).

with the eng off, you should be able to move the arm back and forth ( may have to remove vac tube to allow "breathing") as you retract the arm you should hear the w/g puck slam shut.

while driving, when the computer wants to reduce boost pressure, it will modulate vac to the actuator allowing some exhaust to by-pass the turbine wheel.

hope that helps.

Pat

1 - 4 of 4 Posts