Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've left voice mail with Quad but thought I'd see if anyone else has had this problem and what they did to resolve it.

My truck is dead ... won't turn over, etc. Received a tow tuner v1.10 today. Plugged it and followed directions ... first it said "Unlocking VIN ...." dash lights flashed and lots of things cycled ... then the tuner LCD said "ERROR 00" ... I then unplugged and turned off key. Waited a few minutes and tried again ... now get "Error communicating with vehicle ..." every time. Turn key to start and nothing happens ... dead truck. I'm stranded ...

Truck is an 03 LT ...

Thoughts?

The other concerning thing is now I hear a mild buzzing noise coming from engine compartment ... with key off, no power, etc. It won't go away unless I unplug the large connector (ECM?) connector the Juice normally plugs into ... I have it unplugged at the moment because I don't know what the buzzing noise is or if it could be doing damage.

Edited by: tophog

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
make sure the key is in the on position not just the first click................try again with the can-bus plug plugged like factory....do not try without the can-bus plugged in

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, key was in on position and everything connected. Talkin to Mac on phone now.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
sdaver said:
make sure the key is in the on position not just the first click................try again with the can-bus plug plugged like factory....do not try without the can-bus plugged in
Did you do that Daver ??

Mac

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
OnStar?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Mackin said:
sdaver said:
Did you do that Daver ??

Mac

I did the first time!! It said on position, not run!

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Minn-Kota said:

I think it's worse then Onstar ... at this point I wish the truck could "phone home" (ET movie).

Mac, my 03 doesn't have the same fuses you mentioned on the phone ... only found SES Ign. and not the other 2.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was suppose to leave on a week-long trip today but hung around for a few hours waiting for mail man/stealth ... now I'm stranded. Anyone got any magic pixie dust?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
never have defeated onstar.... but did try try make programing changes with just the first click and got a error........redid it correctly no issues

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Tophog

The first thing you need to do is go unhook both negative battery cables. Then plug in the engine connectors you have removed. Open the underhood fuse box and remove the fuse labeled "info". Reinstall the battery cables after about three minutes and try to start the truck. If it starts and runs your in good shape, if it willnot start then you have killed the PCM.

At this point if you have a running truck, shut it off and install the programmer. If it doesn't work again then I would send it back. If it programms then reinstall the "info" fuse and your on the way.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Diesel Tech said:
Tophog

The first thing you need to do is go unhook both negative battery cables. Then plug in the engine connectors you have removed. Open the underhood fuse box and remove the fuse labeled "info". Reinstall the battery cables after about three minutes and try to start the truck. If it starts and runs your in good shape, if it willnot start then you have killed the PCM.

At this point if you have a running truck, shut it off and install the programmer. If it doesn't work again then I would send it back. If it programms then reinstall the "info" fuse and your on the way.

Thanks. On my way to garage ... stay tuned (No pun intended).

P.S. If the PCM is "killed" ... I didnt' kill it, the tuner did ... I know what you meant.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Mackin

The SEO-xxx fuses do not work for the '03 and '04 model years only the '01 and '02.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Diesel Tech,

You the man! Followed your instructions and was confident the truck "might" :) start upon plugging in the engine connector after reconnecting both batteries as the "buzz" was gone (info fuse still removed) ... at this point I thought the truck would have no heartbeat at all or start ... and it STARTED!

Now that I have my baby back ... not sure if I should proceed with stealth again with "info" fuse removed ... within the last hour I think I lost 5 years off my life ... was definately stressed.

Should I roll the dice and try with fuse removed? Note, I live approx. 1000 miles from Vegas. :)

I'm curious as to what the "info" fuse is for?

P.S. That was the most scared I've been since I got married.

Edited by: tophog

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
looks like quad owes steve one

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Diesel Tech said:
Mackin

The SEO-xxx fuses do not work for the '03 and '04 model years only the '01 and '02.
Just a mere suggestion ....

Tophog you got lucky ,congrats ..... Go for it a second time you know the fix .....It'll just bug ya ....

Mac

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
tophog

I could get into a long discription of how the data buss works but let's just go with the short version. When you disconnected the batteries everything in the system died. Waiting the three minutes gave all the sub systems time to discharge. When you reinstalled the batteries all componets when into a power-up reset mode. This is what allowed the truck to start. If the Quad programmer doesnot communacate properly on the buss it can screw up most anything, so it all depends on where and when it screws up. You could try the programmer and everything could be fine and then again you could be pushing it too. So it's your call.

As far as the "info" fuse............ if I told you then I would need to shoot you

·
Registered
183 Posts
One hour and 45 mins and back on the road I am impressed.I think a big hand for diesel tech would be nice.This is one of our worst fears solved by a diesel place member.Can you imagine having to call the dealer and a tow job and hope they don't find out
Oh and a honorable mention for Mac

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Diesel Tech said:
tophog

I could get into a long discription of how the data buss works but let's just go with the short version. When you disconnected the batteries everything in the system died. Waiting the three minutes gave all the sub systems time to discharge. When you reinstalled the batteries all componets when into a power-up reset mode. This is what allowed the truck to start. If the Quad programmer doesnot communacate properly on the buss it can screw up most anything, so it all depends on where and when it screws up. You could try the programmer and everything could be fine and then again you could be pushing it too. So it's your call.

As far as the "info" fuse............ if I told you then I would need to shoot you

I do have an active Top Secret clearance if that helps. (left over from US Navy Submarine Special Projects) :) You bothered me with that word "pushing" it ... I know Mac would try it again ... starting to think of that cereal commercial "Let's get Mickey to do it ..."

I'll think about it while I digest the 2 giant cheeseburgers I just scarfed down ... guess all this made me hungry.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
nobull1 said:
One hour and 45 mins and back on the road I am impressed.I think a big hand for diesel tech would be nice.This is one of our worst fears solved by a diesel place member.Can you imagine having to call the dealer and a tow job and hope they don't find out
Oh and a honorable mention for Mac

I'm not on the road yet and won't be til tomorrow morning, probably with a stock truck or juiced if I decide to put it back on. Feel kind of violated at the moment if you know what I mean.

Too late and pooped to leave tonight. You hit the nail on the head regarding worst fear ... after speaking with Mackin on the phone (btw Mackin called me coast/coast (Conn/Oregon) ... what a guy) I felt like a baby with a wet diaper ...just moments from crying ... with envisioning the embarrasing "tow to dealer" with my truck on some flatbed and fabricated story. Never thought I'd be so happy hearing a "stock" truck start. My hat is off to both Mac and Diesel Tech ... as well as the dieselplace.com. Anyone know how to email cold beer?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts