Diesel Place banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first diesel, but I have noticed on my father-in-laws 01 2500, and my friends 02 2500, that they scream compared to my 03 on take off. After 15-20mph, I can walk away. It seems like I have more boost or something just "kicks in" after I get rolling. Both of the other trucks are ext. cab srw, and mine is a cc dually, so I know the weight advantage is there, but should it be THAT much?
If I brake it, then throttle up to around 1200, it'll jump great off the line. I have yet to break traction, or even chirp the tires. I hear everyone talk about laying rubber for blocks at a time. What can I do?

Everything about the truck is stock, as far as I know, and it just turned over 55K miles.

I would like to be able to bark all four out back every once in awhile!

:ro):ro)

Please help

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
get a programmer and then you should be able to burn them but you should beable to burn them now if you know how to do a brake stand

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it will brake stand after the turbo spools up, but I just want to roll out of a burn out just by pounding it off the line.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
i dont know if a dually will do that without some upgrades

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, having a few extra tires doesn't help. Any recommendations for a low cost upgrade? I am not looking to run 12's.
I want to tow better and have more power off the line.

·
Registered
368 Posts
ok, having a few extra tires doesn't help. Any recommendations for a low cost upgrade? I am not looking to run 12's.
I want to tow better and have more power off the line.
Get a chip or programmer and set it on a mid or low level so you won't burn up the clutches in your transmission unless you're willing to get it upgraded.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Get a chip or programmer and set it on a mid or low level so you won't burn up the clutches in your transmission unless you're willing to get it upgraded.
:exactly:

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Sounds like something like an Edge EZ might be what you are looking for.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man, I hope it doesn't have a programmer! How can I check to be sure?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
how would you check to see if it had a programmer in it already

·
Registered
633 Posts
I got an edge juice, and I still have trouble laying rubber with my dually on dry pavement. And when it does, I get a good amount of axle hop, so I back off before breaking something. A shot off the line in level 3 will blow a quick black cloud but that darn rear end hooks up like its on slicks at the dragstrip. Instant "GO" and no spin. Good for streetlight to streetlight races. 'Course, who wants to win a burnout contest in a dually - gotta replace 4 instead of 2.

Tranny is next, then I may try launching in level 4 or 5.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
i thought it would be kind of hard to just punch it in a dually and burn them

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok. new mission. Be able to pull off the line like a monster with no wheel spin!
I just hate the lag when taking off. I know this thing weighs 3 times as much as a mustang, and I still can beat them in the long run. I just want to be able to make them blush by smoking them off the line too.
When they get the jump on me, it is kinda sweet to roll right past them in a few seconds though.

·
Registered
633 Posts
ok. new mission. Be able to pull off the line like a monster with no wheel spin.
The edge will help. Even with no brake stands, it will jump off the line NOW. In level 3 (too chicken to try level 4 or 5 yet) the rear end dips (no spin) and the front jumps a little bit then she levels off and flat out goes like stink until one of the safety warnings I have set cuts power (Typically the boost). I'm going to my first "test and tune" at the local track on the 12th of Feb. Curious to see what I have to learn.

Level 3 will (and has) surprised a couple Mustangs and some Ricers. However, I have a co-worker with an SRT10 Truck, and well, his is faster. Period. Some day maybe I'll stand a chance, but then again, I can haul 4k lbs in the bed and tow 20k lbs. His truck isn't rated to tow anything - not even jet ski. I mean, darn, a Honda Civic can tow a jet ski... :lol:

If you have a 4x4, you can also learn to do 4x4 launches, but from I hear they will lunch your front end w/o some upgrades there also.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
looks like an Edge is in order. Need cash.....:)

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
looks like an Edge is in order. Need cash.....:)
Cant help you there):h

If your truck puffs a little black cloud chances are it has a programmer install......Black haze is normal though.

Diablo Pred. is a good programmer
Edge juice is a great box.
There are many others just try a search in the power and performance section and you should have hours of reading.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
take it to a dealer and have them put the Tech 2 to it....

or whenever you buy a programmer you can use it to see if there is one on it already..(i belive)

alos..there not Chips....there programmers or modules....i dunno why but it piss's me off to here chipped....Chipping is a ford thing..not GM dammit

1 - 18 of 18 Posts