Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a bunch of pics of the engine i just got back. Just wondering if the guru's can help to identify some of the markings and what their meanings are. Thanks.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
More

Attachments

·
Vendor
9,678 Posts
Look at the opposite side flange to the one with 12555506 on it and see what leter/number is there. The picture isn't clear.

Who gooped the blocked heater?

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Best i could do John, i'll see if i can clean it up and post again but i don't think i can get it any clearer. Engine as at a shop away from me now.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The long number that ends in 506,not sure about all of it but the 506 is your casting number.I'm sure the rest of the number pertains to the casting in some way but don't know for sure.The group of numbers that has the date with them decribes(I think)what GM did with it and when they did it.My 98 6.5 has those numbers on the rail on top of the block,drivers side, front,between the head and the valley.Can't help you much with the rest but if you find out please tell us all.I have been trying to figure out what they all were also.The only thing i have on that rail is YDD 09 23 97.when i called the dealer all i had to say was YDD and they told me everything about my truck.Year,motor,3500 series,and that the option was not having the EGR.One more thing,is your block a good one,i need one really bad. If it's in your way i would be glad to come and get it.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Who gooped the blocked heater?
Guess... and it wasn't me.

Two choices, the rebuilder or the machine shop they use?

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here's a better one, thought i had it just had to look harder.

06 04 L

Attachments

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
MAN!!!! You should have diamonds in the valley, I am not easy about this one, something is not right. In order for that block to be an AMG Hummer Block, it should have the Diamonds in it. I wish you could find a serial number on it to trace.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Family addition

Another new addition to the family.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
I hate to say it, but I think CHICAGO is right. That looks like a late production GM or early AMG block. But I don't see any diamond in the valley, and the date code appears to be 06 04 1 which would be JUNE 1, 2001 as best I can decifer it. This would make it basically the same block you had before or a GM replacement block.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And would that classify it as a Hummer block by someones standards??? :rant:

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
It is definately a hummer block, but doesn't appear to be the latest updated version. In late 99 they started casting updated castings at GM for the hummers and vans, this was to satisfy the military demands for a more RELIABLE engine since the 506 was severely hurting there military contract. But it wasn't until late 00 or 01 that GEP started doing the engines and having international(yes the same ones that did the old 6.9L and 7.3L for FORD) do the engine castings. So yours appears to be updated, but not the latest like CHICAGO has. You need to look for the diamond in the lifter valley to see if it is the latest design or not. I'm not the most up to date on the 6.5 casting numbers and what they mean.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I could only get pics from the back of the engine, are the diamonds suppose to be at the front of the valley?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
i am not the most up to date either but I KNOW THAT DIAMOND NEEDS TO BE THERE!!!!

they are in the lifter valley, there should be pics of them in Nick's first post on his truck engine.

CR, call Peninsular Diesel and get the scoop on the engines, those guys know blocks like I nobody's buisness, 616-530-1298.

Try to talk to Matt up there, they are SOOOO helpful.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm about ready to -:t

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I'm about ready to -:t
hang in there budy, we will get you through this, I need to know how that turbo and 5068 pump with the flash will do;) .

Hope you have extra money set aside for a new set of tires;) :ro)

·
Registered
590 Posts
Ya i want to see that baby go to CR, settle down.
Phone them buggers though and get some answers in the morning

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was just looking at my original bill, says NEW 6.5 SHORT BLOCK, HUMMER VERSION. Key word is new, no? Not refurbished. I will have to look at the front of the engine tomorrow and see what i can find. My old 00 had markings just above the drivers head, was stamped with the year there on it.

I specifically asked for the New high nickle hi strength hummer block the first go around.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts