271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright everyone here is the low down:

Used Swede Burbs program:

Here are the codes:

When start code reader after engine start get following:

35 - response time too short
44 - egr pulse width failed

clear this codes after engine running and in idle nothing comes back up.

shift trans(auto) into gear and then get following codes:

36 - response time to long
33 - manifold air pressure input high

now if i shift out of gear and clear codes nothing comes back til i shift it back into gear.

So do I have some major problem or do I just need to get the transmission serviced???

also, not getting a reading on the boost gage in swede's program.
Is there some way without having to buy a gage that I can get turbo tested?

this truck performs well. when I kick it down it will haul ****. Transmission shifts are all good and so is mileage.

My fuel economy this winter around town is averaging 15. Out on the road at 75 I am averaging 20 to 21. Is there a problem or am I just worring for nothing????????????

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
35/36 looks kinda funny. Iron out first any fuel supply issues just to make sure. Read up on FAQ's about fuel delivery/lift pump check, etc.

The different appearing codes looks to be a poor connection. Check all engine grounds (passenger head to firewall) and battery connections. Known short comings of these rigs.

Odd combo of numbers, looks like some wire jiggling needed.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what I thought

That is kida what I thought. We have had troubles trying to run scanners on this truck. this is the first program we have actually gotten to read truck codes, could the ecm possibly be going bad? there aren't any real fuel problems with truck. When open t valve no air sucking and pumps out diesel fuel with no air bubbles. However, when shut truck off can here lift pump rattle or whatever for a few seconds after.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what about bad chip

If I don't find any bad connections could this mean there is something wrong with the chip? I can't get to this til saturday but then plan on going over wires and connections and pulling glovebox and checking connections there too. Anything else?:confused:

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Done the paper clip trick yet, what do those show as stored codes as a sanity check

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did paper clip test

Did paper clip test when got home today. No codes. Also checked all wire connections except at the ecm. Didn't have time to pull glove box.
Keep getting codes as in original post. Especially if I have the air conditioner running for heat or cold. And on that note the air compressor cycles extremely quick. Does not run consistent. Goes on for about two seconds, goes off for about two seconds. Cycles like this till shut air conditioner off. So is my chip goin bad or what is the deal here?:confused:
This one has got me confused. I also did turbo check to see if it is working. Can not move actuator rod when truck is running. Will call my brother in law who is diesel mechanic to see if he has the stuff to run a vacuum test. Other than that no ideas.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Look down the firewall where the PCM harness crosses the aluminum AC line into the cab - see if any chafing in that area, causes intermittent operation..

AC problem could be low freon, or bad pressure switch.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I'm with GM on the low freon/bad switch, IIRC it should be 8-10 sec between AC cycles. again unplug the clutch, in case the compressor siezes up(low/lack of oil likely if there is a leak, which should show up as a oil stain) the freon carries the oil thru the system lubricating the compressor so if you have low freon as could be indicated by the quick cycle times you could sieze up the compressor and take out a fan belt which will leave you stranded.Unless the bearing on the clutch is bad, it should last until you can trouble shoot the system, and you wont wreck a good compressor because of a lack of oil in the system.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
35 - response time too short
44 - egr pulse width failed

clear this codes after engine running and in idle nothing comes back up.

shift trans(auto) into gear and then get following codes:

36 - response time to long
33 - manifold air pressure input high

35/36 could indicate IP problems.
34 - EGr needs trouble shooting for vac and solenoid function.
33-MAP reading is off-higher than atmospheric engine off or idle (not sure why they do this, but I've fixed them by altering the R untill the volts came into line with atmospheric signal or lower.)
'94 S engine reads baro at the firewall Vs. vacuum pull, may be related.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
did some more trouble shooting.

Looked over all wires and connections. Connections and wires are all good.
Pulled glove box and made sure all connections there are good. They are. As in my signature I have the 5067 IP. I belive this looks to be a replacement pump as sticker is pretty clean. I have no idea what pump it came with or when pump was replaced. As for air conditioner, will get more freon(R-134) within the next couple of weeks. I hardly run it now as we are still waiting for spring to come. Will have to wait a couple of days for the vacuum test until my brother in law is off work. But I should have some pretty good vacuum. When truck is off I can move the actuator arm on the turbo, when truck is running unable to make it move. More and more I am drawing a conclusion that chip might be going bad or something there. Not sure that previous owners followed proper battery disconnect which could cause chip to have problems. Let the saga continue. But believe me, I am still loving this truck. It runs awesome and I just itching to but my tailer behind it and go camping.

I must be sick but I love the smell and sound of a diesel!!!!!:muahaha:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So then what?

If those codes are not good for that, what does that mean? Not sure when pump was replaced but is pretty clean. Is there a better pump that will work with my truck? Like I have said before, this truck runs great and hauls ****. If s stands for slow than I would love to see what an f runs like.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
went for a ride

Okay, went for a ride on the freeway here. Numbers seemed impressive.
At 75 mph was at 2200 rpm and 4lbs of boost. I believe this should be just about right on if I am not mistaken. What say you all?

Turbo would boost to 10lbs if put the hammer down.):h :ro) :muahaha:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts